Z8 Pre-order in Canada

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

la551ve3

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I made the mistake about 18 months ago to placed an order for the Z9 and a major camera store in Canada and after waiting till Aug 2022 and still no camera in sight I gave up. From what I saw today with the Z8 intro, it may have been a good decision. A question to Canadian members here. What store(s) have you used to order your gear from and had good/speedy results?

I generally use Vistek. They have good service. But, I have no experience pre-ordering something like the Z8 :(
Yes, they are my go to store in most cases but unfortunately anyone in Canada who wanted a Z9 went there as well. Maybe if I had gone to my "local" Vistek instead of online I might have had better luck .

I buy all my gear from CameraCanada. I have a very good relationship with them as I've bought a lot of stuff over the years (ie direct email of the manager). They will typically place me #1 on the list if I tell them ahead of the announcement. Although for Nikon I have to go after NPS. With Sony and Canon I can buy my way into SPS and CPS so get to go front of the line. Nikon remains more strict that you have to be a professional making money...at least last time I checked.

Other good stores I've used are TheCameraStore and AdenCamera.

Because I'm in BC, if I buy online from AB or ON I don't have to pay BC PST so save 7% on my purchases compared to buying in BC or from one of the big cross country chains that have a PST #.

I mostly use Vistek but I don't think the 'supply chain' issues (e.g. long waits for product) have very much to do with the retailer you use, ultimately; least wise if you're using established retailers. The call I got for an 800 wasn't from Vistek, for example. But it came about the same time Vistek told me they expected some 800s in the next few days (I'd originally ordered the 800 from them but switched my lust to the 600); told me in their hope that it meant the 600 couldn't be far behind....

Well I not only pre-ordered but went back to Vistek. Just for giggles I dropped into the local store just to see what I would get for my D850. I got $2260 which was much more than I expected (Paid $2900 for it from Amazon over 2 years ago). Also traded away an old Tamron I haven't used in ages and in total, it took over $3k off the price of the Z8. Now the wait begins

Which store did you trade your D850? I emailed Vistek in Toronto and they are only willing to pay 1500. The rep did mention there will be enough Z8 for all pre-orders around the end of May.
Well I not only pre-ordered but went back to Vistek. Just for giggles I dropped into the local store just to see what I would get for my D850. I got $2260 which was much more than I expected (Paid $2900 for it from Amazon over 2 years ago). Also traded away an old Tamron I haven't used in ages and in total, it took over $3k off the price of the Z8. Now the wait begins

Which store did you trade your D850? I emailed Vistek in Toronto and they are only willing to pay 1500. The rep did mention there will be enough Z8 for all pre-orders around the end of May.
My misfortune , on the other hand, is that Vistek offered $2940 for my 10 month old Z9!!!!!

My misfortune , on the other hand, is that Vistek offered $2940 for my 10 month old Z9!!!!!

Ottawa store. I would have accepted $1500 because my expectations were much lower. I went in to the store expecting maybe $2k for the camera AND the Tamrom lens (200-600mm). Mind you, it took some time before the offer was made. He had to first finish that bottle of Black Velvet I brought in for him ;)

Last edited:
At a different camera store: I was trying to sell my 24-70mm F/2.8 lens, their offer was $76, I had to rub my eyes to make sure 🤣

Late on I sold the lens one craigslist for $1100.

Oliver
Yeah, they are so greedy. I think they will get more selling used than selling new.
Ottawa store. I would have accepted $1500 because my expectations were much lower. I went in to the store expecting maybe $2k for the camera AND the Tamrom lens (200-600mm). Mind you, it took some time before the offer was made. He had to first finish that bottle of Black Velvet I brought in for him ;)
I don't mind to bring 2 bottles if they add an extra 0 at the end 😀

Back