Z8 problem with viewfinder brightness after standby

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I wonder if others experience the same "problem" (in case it is one): my Z8 first darkens the viewfinder and then goes to sleep. When I now press "play" to wakeup the camera and review the pictures, the viewfinder stays quite dark (-> same darkness as when the Z8 went to sleep). Now I have to half-press the shutter (-> Z8 goes to photo mode) to brighten the screen, then I can press "play" again to review my pictures in adequate brightness. This seems like a bug to me, or did I miss something?

I think I have the "save battery" option enabled, and the viewfinder brightness = "auto" in case it matters.

Thanks for any input.

Maybe try turning off the battery saver, see if that is the issue? If not turn off some other possible culprits until you find what is causing it.

After some testing I think I found the answer: assuming viewfinder brightness is set to "automatic", after going to sleep the camera playback seems to always start with a "medium brightness". This makes sense because the automatic display brightness is certainly measured on the sensor, which is not active when in playback mode. So in very bright conditions the image might appear rather dark until one lets the camera measure the environment brightness (by switching to photo mode). So there seems no bug here, its just a behavior that one needs to be aware of.
Thanks @bleirer for your response.

I wonder if others experience the same "problem" (in case it is one): my Z8 first darkens the viewfinder and then goes to sleep. When I now press "play" to wakeup the camera and review the pictures, the viewfinder stays quite dark (-> same darkness as when the Z8 went to sleep). Now I have to half-press the shutter (-> Z8 goes to photo mode) to brighten the screen, then I can press "play" again to review my pictures in adequate brightness.
I observe the same thing on my Z9. It's annoying, but maybe your explanation is correct.
Have you tried with a fixed viewfinder brightness (I didn't, so far)?

I've always assumed the auto brightness is set on all cameras via the eye sensor, so perhaps it needs a button press to wake it up, otherwise it would be wasting power sensing day and night.

@Krümelkraft I just checked with a fixed viewfinder brightness and indeed, the "problem" is gone: it always displays at the set brightness after wakeup. So I guess my theory seems right.

@bleirer I think viewfinder and back display brightness are both measured using the sensor. Makes sense because the eye sensor is usually covered by the user eyebrow, which would largely vary with users ..

But if the lens cap is on, doesn't the brightness still get set? I guess I don't know now, was just assuming.

Its a little hard to see but I think adding the lens cap (or covering the lens front with one hand) reduces the brightness to minimum.

You might be right, I'm not finding any info on the web about where it is sensed. So when reviewing shots by looking through the evf with the lens cap on, what does it do, use the previous value?

So when reviewing shots by looking through the evf with the lens cap on, what does it do, use the previous value?
If the evf is set to "automatic", and if you wake it from sleep with the "play" button, it first uses an "average" value (probably "0"), as it cannot adjust brightness.
By contrast, if you wake it using the shutter button (i.e. it goes to photo mode), it will immediately measure ambient brightness and will reduce the screen / evf to minimum brightness as it assumes complete darkness around.

Back