Z8 re-assigning Video Record button problem

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jlh

Supporting Member
New to the forum -- glad to be here!
From p. 354 in Steve's Z8 and Z9 setup/shooting guide: "Once set, you can hold the Video record button down and change the AF mode (AF-S, AF-C, M) with the main (rear) command dial and the AF area (Single point, Dynamic, Wide, etc.) with the sub (front) command dial. Super handy."
Well, unfortunately, I can actually do only half of that. The front (sub) command dial changes the AF area just fine, but once the AF mode is in AF-S, it stays there no matter what names I call it. If I manually change to AF-C, then all goes well the way it should, including switching to AF-S. But then I can't get out of AF-S.
Any suggestions for solving this glitch will be much appreciated!

What do you mean by “manually”? You need to continue depressing the record button while rotating the from or rear command dials. Check too that you haven’t disabled the choices … one of the custom settings allows you to deselect those you don’t want.
Alternatives are the “i” menu or just use the button at the front left bottom corner - I use both record and that button.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome
Check a9 (Focus Mode Restrictions) in the Custom menu, has not excluded AFC

Turn ON Custom f6 "Release Button To Use Dial". This allows a quick button press to turn the command dials without having to hold down the Red Video button

Back