Z8 Settings Question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Clif

Supporting Member
I just received my new Z8, bought Steve's Z8/Z9 setup guide and dove right in to get things setup. I believe that one (or more) of the settings I changed has the camera stuck in DX mode and I cannot for the life of me get it to change. When I go to the photo shooting menu and select Image Area, Choose Image Area is grayed out and DX Crop Alert is On. Pressing the grayed out bar displays a message saying "This option is not available at current settings or in the camera's current state." And "DX" flashes in the viewfinder and on the monitor. Feel free to PM me if you can help and if this technical question is out of line here. Thanks.

Clif

I just received my new Z8, bought Steve's Z8/Z9 setup guide and dove right in to get things setup. I believe that one (or more) of the settings I changed has the camera stuck in DX mode and I cannot for the life of me get it to change. When I go to the photo shooting menu and select Image Area, Choose Image Area is grayed out and DX Crop Alert is On. Pressing the grayed out bar displays a message saying "This option is not available at current settings or in the camera's current state." And "DX" flashes in the viewfinder and on the monitor. Feel free to PM me if you can help and if this technical question is out of line here. Thanks.

Clif
That often means you have a DX lens mounted on the camera. If you're certain the lens mounted is a full frame lens then I'd clean the electrical contacts with a microfiber cloth to make sure the lens is properly communicating with the body.

That can also happen in some video modes that don't support full frame capture and I believe some of the faster frame rates like 60 FPS is limited to DX mode as well.

Working through Steve's setup guide last night and I got hung up on the Recall Shooting Function. The whole Recall Shooting Function and the (hold) had me scratching my head. I kept setting everything the way I wanted it set followed by Save Settings. Which seemed appropriate but it's not. Once the individual setting are set the correct function is the Menu button. This will be quicker than the U1 and U2 setting on my d780 but more stuff for my brain to adjust to.

Working through Steve's setup guide last night and I got hung up on the Recall Shooting Function. The whole Recall Shooting Function and the (hold) had me scratching my head. I kept setting everything the way I wanted it set followed by Save Settings. Which seemed appropriate but it's not. Once the individual setting are set the correct function is the Menu button. This will be quicker than the U1 and U2 setting on my d780 but more stuff for my brain to adjust to.
FWIW, I use RSF for things I want instantly like a change in subject detection mode and don’t use it for major setup changes like landscape settings vs wildlife settings. I have more time to change those things so I save RSF for the things I want to change rapidly and on the fly.

Not sure if you’ve played with it but I’m a big fan of the cycle AF area mode function assigned to the red video record button. It makes it super fast to change AF area modes on the fly.

I love that feature. I currently have that set up to my Fn1 button as it's easy for my short fingers to access it.
As far as the RSF. I do switch between landscape and birding and I found that after a weekend of shooting landscapes its nice to be able to go back to the birding settings without having to think too much.

Clif
Hi, I think you will find you have 60 fps selected. At 60fps recording is only in DX

Back