Z8 Severely Back Focusing in low light

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

SCoombs

I have been posting a lot about this elsewhere in more general photography forums, but as I have done more testing and begun to hone in more I figure I may as well ask here, where some of the more technically saavy users I know of tend to reside. Thus far I have mainly noticed this with people, but thinking back over all my wildlife shooting I imagine it may have impacted that as well.

Essentially, in normal light - say EV 5.6 or higher - the camera operates entirely as expected. Below that, I am finding subject recognition to be extremely "misleading:" it will pick up on a subject and narrow in on the eye (following the standard body>face>eye hierarchy), displaying the green "focus confirmation" box on the eye, but the photos will be back focused. Very, very frequently if focused on the front eye, the rear eye will actually be in focus. Sometimes it is the rear of the head. It is very, very rarely anything in front, as if closest subject priority is responsible. Quite the contrary, it is back focused behind the closest subject - but remember, ONLY in light below EV 5.6 or so.

Please note that this is with any and all settings dialed in which will increase viewfinder brightness, since the EVF feed is used for focus. This includes d9 Adjust for ease of viewing and/or d10 Starlight view - I've tested with and without Starlight and there is no difference.

Now using a "dumb" mode like single point or dynamic area modes work much, much better. They are not flawless, but they get in focus results much more consistently. With subject recognition, I have had results range in tests from 30% in focus to 70% in focus at a live event I shot recently to this evening's test where it was more like 10% in focus and the rest back focused badly.

Also note that using wider apertures makes a difference. I have generally found in my testing near perfect performance at f1.8, very, very inconsistent performance at f4 and performance in between at f2.8. This may be unsurprising, but is worth noting.

This afternoon I tested at EV 6-7 and once again performance was almost flawless at both f1.8 and f4. When the light dropped, I did it again at EV4 and the results were extraordinarily discouraging. This was easily the worst performance I have seen as I had something like 90% of the photos out of focus and in particular they were all back focused.

For the evening tests, I set a fully manual flash so make sure the exposures were good enough to make a judgment on as without the flash they were extremely noisy at ISO 20000. Otherwise, everything is operating as usual so the focusing is unaffected.

Also note that while the AF box turns white after every picture, this is only because I was taking my finger off the AF-on button so I could press playback. I did this so that the videos contain an index of every shot by file name. A selection of RAW files from these tests can be found here if anyone wants to see EXIF data. These are mainly out of focus shots, but a few in focus ones are included for reference: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qnD6wU3LGa5GVIwKsTG1dulmLYPknrEg?usp=sharing

Also note that because I was constantly shifting my hands to press the playback button the camera does move around a lot, but I made a conscious effort to try to keep it steady when actually shooting.

I did also shoot a number of shots in dynamic area. It actually made a few back-focusing mistakes as well this time and also had more trouble on acquiring focus than it typically has, but overall it still yielded sharp, in focus results most of the time.

Please also note that I did test this without the flash and I did record a video, just to try to see whether or not perhaps in some weird way the flash was causing the problem, but the results were the same. I have not uploaded the video because it didn't contribute much due to the low quality of the photos, but it did manage to verify that the issues occur with or without flash.

First, here is a video in which I review all of the shots. I stop at each one and, when the shot is out of focus, I circle the mouse around the area that appears to actually be where the plane of focus lies.

Second, here are the three videos shot at f4:

and here is the video at f1.8:

Is this low-light phenomenon happening with a variety of lenses on your Z8?
24-120S
70-200S
40mmf2
70-180 f2.8

The only one it has not happened - or at least not happened much - is the 85mm 1.8 when shooting at 1.8.

I have also received a lot of comments in threads on other forums with people insisting their Z8 doesn't do this BUT also saying they are usually shooting at 1.2, so it seems like shooting aperture does matter (which makes sense of course).

Just to be clear, at EV6 or 7 or greater, all of these lenses do not backfocus with subject detection. Meanwhile, at EV4, where they do backfocus under subject detection, they do not do so - at least 90% of the time or more - using "dumb" non subject detect AF.

Probably wouldn't be too hard to objectively test it with static targets camera on tripod consistent settings, etc. Photoshop has a selection tool that will detect the area in focus, a slider dials in the range of sensitivity.

Probably wouldn't be too hard to objectively test it with static targets camera on tripod consistent settings, etc. Photoshop has a selection tool that will detect the area in focus, a slider dials in the range of sensitivity.

On FM and DPReview a user ("Horshack" on DPR or "snapsy" on FM) has, since I raised the issue, been doing a large number of controlled tests as you describe. He's doing a great, extensive job with videos of every test, deep dives into the EXIF, etc.

Here is sn excerpt from his latest report:

"Today I decided to look deeper into the eye AF issues for the 4EV lighting conditions. It occurred to me that perhaps the issue wasn't specific to eye AF or AF-C but simply that the camera's PDAF wasn't sensitive enough for these lighting conditions. To test this theory out I switched to a fixed camera position and added a focus reference to detect if/when the AF was hunting. It's hunting constantly. Then I switched to a higher 6.5EV and confirmed the hunting almost completely disappeared. Then I switched back to 4EV and started experimenting with AF-S and other focus area modes - the camera had significant trouble focusing in AF-S for single point AF over the eye, which to me indicates the root issue here is insufficient PDAF sensitivity at these light levels for this particular subject.

In other words, the eye AF issue I'm showcasing is really a PDAF sensitivity issue. It manifests in eye AF since the size of the PDAF area employed by the subject tracking is a smallish portion of the eye, a portion that AF-S demonstrates focusing trouble."

Also note that we've found that the AF performs markedly better on inanimate objects than people, possibly because people are not totally still but alsonpossibly because of the kind of contrast present in human features.

If you prefocus in front (or back) does it still do this?

Most of my "low light" exposures are ISO 3200 to 6400 with exposures usually 1/160s f5 to 1/320 f2.8 and I have consistently good autofocus using all the lenses you list. I think this is more light than you are experiencing, so can't really help you based on my own experience.

Have you tried focus pumping...i.e. Repeatedly refocusing and reshooting?

Also, what ISO for the images in the first video?

PS My compliments to your very patient model!

If you prefocus in front (or back) does it still do this?

Most of my "low light" exposures are ISO 3200 to 6400 with exposures usually 1/160s f5 to 1/320 f2.8 and I have consistently good autofocus using all the lenses you list. I think this is more light than you are experiencing, so can't really help you based on my own experience.

Have you tried focus pumping...i.e. Repeatedly refocusing and reshooting?

PS My compliments to your very patient model!
Yes, it doesn't matter if you prefocus or not because the problem isn't really in acquiring focus, at least it doesn't seem so. For instance I have found, in spite of what Horshack said in the quotation I provided above, that AF-S is much more reliable in these situations. Once AF-S says it has focus, it actually is in focus most of the time - around 80-90% in single point/dynamic area mode and less with subject recognition but still moreso than with subject recognition in AF-C. The issue is moreso it seems that in AF-C it starts constantly adjusting and moves in and out of focus all while still thinking it's the same focus.

In other words, at EV4 both I and Horshack have found that the AF-C system is basically constantly hunting but is hunting all while still displaying the green focus confirmation indicator in the EVF/LCD.

Focus pumping is basically how I have managed to work to achieve some level of confidence that I have in focus shots when I need them. Heck, it's perhaps only because of my wildlife background that I even knew to try this.

Last edited:
I don't shoot the Z24-120 f4S in low light very much...Preferring the 2.8 trinity for this. I will search my files for an example.

I would like to know your complete exposure settings where the problem occurs--including ISO--to see if I have a match.

I don't shoot the Z24-120 f4S in low light very much...Preferring the 2.8 trinity for this. I will search my files for an example.

I would like to know your complete exposure settings where the problem occurs--including ISO--to see if I have a match.
It's anytime the EV is below around 5 and I am at f2.8 or f4 (or higher, but I really never am in these situations). Therefore it covers a wide range of exposure settings, so it's not only at f4 on the 24-120 but also on the 70-200 at f2.8.

I'm using this in lower light at times because in addition to wildlife I also shoot events and things like that, and that lens with a speedlight is a pretty common tool in some situations.

Also, very crucially, realize that most of the time I have encountered this I am using flash. It happens without flash, but normally I'm having it happen when photographing people or house animals in situations where I'd be using lighting of some kind, so whatever settings I might give you don't tell the whole story of course since they'd only cover the ambient lighting and not the full exposure.

So for example, I have one shot at f4, 1/200, ISO 1600, but this is with the flash, so the actual lighting conditions under which the focus had to operate were something like 3 stops darker than a non-flash photo taken at this settings.

A few examples where I turned off the flash to check the lighting levels:

f4, 1/200 ISO11400

f4, 1/160, ISO800

…the camera had significant trouble focusing in AF-S for single point AF over the eye, which to me indicates the root issue here is insufficient PDAF sensitivity at these light levels for this particular subject.

In other words, the eye AF issue I'm showcasing is really a PDAF sensitivity issue. It manifests in eye AF since the size of the PDAF area employed by the subject tracking is a smallish portion of the eye, a portion that AF-S demonstrates focusing trouble."
You may have done this already (forgive me, I’m on airplanes today with wonky wifi) but if it’s a phase detection AF issue, try using pinpoint in AF-S uses contrast detection AF only. If you’re not experiencing the problem using pinpoint, then your suspicion is likely correct.

You may have done this already (forgive me, I’m on airplanes today with wonky wifi) but if it’s a phase detection AF issue, try using pinpoint in AF-S uses contrast detection AF only. If you’re not experiencing the problem using pinpoint, then your suspicion is likely correct.
Well the quote you are responding to is not my own, but Horshack's, but I'd agree. Pinpoint/CDAF does work better.

However, regular single point also works much better than the subject detection, so it's unclear exactly what's going on.

Back