Z8 Video: How do you activate/enable level indicator in live view?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I just got my Z8 a week ago. It is my first mirrorless, coming from the D500. I used a shoot some video with the D500 and the level indicator was easily accessible from the "i" menu. I can't seem to figure how to get it to display on the Z8. Has anyone tried it?

Have a look at these menu settings:
d16 - Virtual horizon type. A is like a plane’s VH, B is two lines at the bottom and right of the display.
d17 - Custom monitor shooting display - For the LCD - 5 options, first 4 programmable if you highlight an option and press the right side of the ring surrounding the OK button. You can enable the VH here amongst other things.
d18 Custom viewfinder shooting display - same as d17 but for the viewfinder. There are only 4 options, all programmable.
The Circle shows the centre weighting area for centre weighted metering - it only appears when that metering pattern is selected.
Use DISP to cycle through displays.

g16 and g17 set the display options for video shooting - similar process but the VH is the one selected in d16.

It might be worth you investing in @Steve Z8 & Z9 setup for wildlife e-book?

Last edited:
Good advice above, I'd only add that if you've re-tasked the Display button to Recall Shooting Function as Steve recommended or some other custom function then program some other button to toggle through the pre-saved display options and have one or more of them include the level graphics. I've programmed both joystick center presses on the Z9 to toggle through the saved display configurations and that seems to work well.

Simple -- go into
G15 Brightness Information display
G16 Custom monitor shooting display
G17 Custom viewfinder shooting display

AND select the appropriate settings for each option you want to see as you press the DISP button

I have Steve's book on the Z8 & Z9 set up, and have the display button set to "recall shooting function". What I hadn't done was to program a button for the display functions in video mode. . All sorted now. Thank you all, very much.

Back