Z8 vs R7 vs R5

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi guys,

I am in need of a camera update, and want to go mirrorless. With my budget and current gear, only Nikon and Canon make sense. I have 3 options:

Z8 with my sigma 150-600

R5 with my sigma 150-600 with new mount

R7 with either my sigma or the 100-400 ef or 100-500.

I am mainly interesting in birds and wildlife, and the rolling shutter of the r7 makes it unusable to me but the mechanical shutter is still 15 fps.

Which options would you recommend for cost effectiveness but still the best AF, FPS, and image quality?

A tough one. If you are going to shoot lots of 8k vid, the R5 overheats. We're told that the Z8 does not. Otherwise the R5 is a superb camera, probably on par with the Z8.

I think many things will be close between the R5 and the Z8. I’ve liked the R5 since it was announced and thought it was the best value in wildlife bodies until the Z8 was announced. I think the Z8 offers more value and with the stacked sensor you’re going to have no rolling shutter and a smooth, blackout free EVF experience. Speculating some, I think Nikon allowing others to officially license the lens mount, you may have more affordable options for lenses in the future to replace your Sigma or add to your lens collection. If you only plan to use your one lens and you know it will work on either camera, I don’t think either is a bad choice.

Back