Z8 w/F mount 200mm f/4D Micro

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Larry S.

Supporting Member
Marketplace
This older lens is just nuts when paired with a Z platform which has IBIS (in body image stabilization). Nikon does not currently make a macro over 105mm, which is a great lens designed for the Z cameras. It has always made sense to me to “try” what you have on the shelf before throwing it under the bus for the latest offerings. This is not a revisit to the “tools vs. jewels” discussion that occasionally pops up. Rather an appreciation and surprise for what an “old” tool can do.

Z8/ftzii/200mm f/4D Micro
IMG_1333.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The spiders were actively repairing their webs today and I spotted one that was backlit presenting a photo op. The spider vacated when I arrived but the interesting pattern was there to photograph. Here’s one that will need some cropping…
Z8J_3945.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Have one and passed it on to my son together with the D850. Will have to get it back,seeing that it still has lots to offer in the Z system.
Pity Nikon is so slow in updating this excellent 200mm micro!
With the FTZ adapter it works just fine. This is a ”D” lens so the autofocus doesn’t work. But.. the single point focus box turns green when you dial it in manually. It was made in Japan and is metal, not plastic…and as you know heavy. I’ve also found it to be a super sharp general tele if you are okay w/f4.

I agree, that's a great combination (Z8+FTZ+200 Micro). I turned on focus peaking and found that to be a quick way to obtain manual focus on moving insects, faster for me than single point focus. The extra working distance of the 200 Micro is a big advantage with skittish insects.

Last edited:
I agree, that's a great combination (Z8+FTZ+200 Micro). I turned on focus peaking and found that to be a quick way to obtain manual focus on moving insects, faster for me than single point focus. The extra working distance of the 200 Micro is a big advantage with skittish insects.
So true Russ.. I haven’t used the focus peaking with this combo yet but will try it soon. The 200mm cushion does let you back off a bit to see better, follow the active critters and not cast shadows on the subject. This lens is a well built “tank” from Japan that was discontinued a few years back. Take a look at what Ken Rockwell has to say about it in his review…

Back