Z8&Z9 Auto Capture

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

@Steve, I grabbed this one from your book in the Auto Capture chapter, would it be possible to let us know the Auto capture settings you used for it? Thx a lot, just curious...

1708188353860.png

Just one more, lets say the camera is set for auto capture and it is ready waiting for action to happen in front of it. However, after some time nothing happened, and it went into stby mode.
Being the camera in stby, if a target pops up that meets all the configured auto capture conditions, will the camera automatically wake up and start shooting or do I have to switch off the stby timer? Thx...

Just one more, lets say the camera is set for auto capture and it is ready waiting for action to happen in front of it. However, after some time nothing happened, and it went into stby mode.
Being the camera in stby, if a target pops up that meets all the configured auto capture conditions, will the camera automatically wake up and start shooting or do I have to switch off the stby timer? Thx...
I don't think it goes into standby on AC; which is why some use a PowerBank battery for AC.

Thanks Steve. I was looking for the speed, size numbers etc. But as you dont remember, just drop it ;)
Yeah, no clue. There's not any speed or distance setting when using just Subject Detection, but size was probably 3 or 4. I'm not sure if you have my Z8/9 setup guide, but there is an extensive 43-page section on it in there that really gets into detail about how to use it.

Yeah, no clue. There's not any speed or distance setting when using just Subject Detection, but size was probably 3 or 4. I'm not sure if you have my Z8/9 setup guide, but there is an extensive 43-page section on it in there that really gets into detail about how to use it.
Thanks again Steve. I read it and fully understood what you wrote. But, today I went out with my Z8 to try it and it was a complete failure. I´ve done something wrong for sure however I can't figure out where was(were) my mistake(s). Shame on me... tomorrow will be another day :LOL:

Thanks again Steve. I read it and fully understood what you wrote. But, today I went out with my Z8 to try it and it was a complete failure. I´ve done something wrong for sure however I can't figure out where was(were) my mistake(s). Shame on me... tomorrow will be another day :LOL:
It takes practice to learn it. Start with just one method in play (SD is the easiest) to start or it's really easy to get it to the point it won't work at all - or it will work too well and shoot everything! Small steps - that's how I did it, one method at a time :)

It takes practice to learn it. Start with just one method in play (SD is the easiest) to start or it's really easy to get it to the point it won't work at all - or it will work too well and shoot everything! Small steps - that's how I did it, one method at a time :)
I used motion and SD. I think I used a wrong size parameter...

@Steve, is there a technical reason that you have heard as to why Bird SD hasn't been added to Auto Capture?
Nope, but Nikon doesn't usually share things like that. If I had to guess it would be because people might expect that it would only trigger for birds, but Bird mode sometimes will trigger for mammals too. Not sure though, just a guess. It might just be that it's another team that works on that part of the UI and they haven't included it yet.

Hi Steve,

Did you make a video that somehow complements the auto capture explanation in the Z8/9 setup guide?
I searched for it here and in the YT but could not find it...
Thx
I don't have a video on it - AC is really complex and more than a simple YT video can cover. The problem is, there are so many variables that it's almost impossible to discuss it in a 10 or 20 minute video and really get everything covered. I've thought about a dedicated video series I could do for the store, but I don't have the time at the moment.

Back