z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a Z8 and miss my 300PF, sold it before the Z8. Search the forums and you’ll see a bunch of posts about the F style teleconverter used on the Z mount bodies. My impression is that it’s tricky and probably stretching things since you also need the FTZ adapter in the mix. If I get another 300 PF I would use it in dx mode (at times) on my Z8. The 300 PFs (pre 220000 sn had some motor issues) are really nice overall.
imho,
Vinny

I have a Z8 and miss my 300PF, sold it before the Z8. Search the forums and you’ll see a bunch of posts about the F style teleconverter used on the Z mount bodies. My impression is that it’s tricky and probably stretching things since you also need the FTZ adapter in the mix. If I get another 300 PF I would use it in dx mode (at times) on my Z8. The 300 PFs (pre 220000 sn had some motor issues) are really nice overall.
imho,
Vinny
cheers for that, yes I have the FTZ, just wanted the extra range as the 500pf which I have is to heavy for the wife's z8

I use the 300pf with TC1.4III on my z8 fairly regularly when I want to have a light/small combo with me and not a larger lens, or when I want to shoot things close up but not close enough for a 105 macro. Other than often being frustrated that 420mm is not enough for birds, it works well for me. The focus acquisition and acuity seem good enough for me.
AAB_3436_01.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
AAC_0520.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,as anyone used the z8 with the f mount 300pf, using a nikon 1.4 11 TC, if so how do the pictures compare to using without the TC. cheers in advance
I have used the 300mm PF and 500mm PF with my Z8. Not sure I have used the 1.4TC (I have the miii) with the 300mm but used it with the 500mm PF and it works fine, better than on my DSLR. I am sure the 300mm PF would work well with the 1.4 TC on the Z8. Assuming your 300mm and 1.4TC are good on your DSLR, I would expect as good if not better on the Z8.

Last edited:
cheers for that, yes I have the FTZ, just wanted the extra range as the 500pf which I have is to heavy for the wife's z8

I use the 300pf with TC1.4III on my z8 fairly regularly when I want to have a light/small combo with me and not a larger lens, or when I want to shoot things close up but not close enough for a 105 macro. Other than often being frustrated that 420mm is not enough for birds, it works well for me. The focus acquisition and acuity seem good enough for me.
View attachment 98528View attachment 98527
Cheers, do you use it in DX

I have used the 300mm PF and 500mm PF with my Z8. Not sure I have used the 1.4TC (I have the miii) with the 300mm but used it with the 500mm PF and it works fine, better than on my DSLR. I am sure the 300mm PF would work well with the 1.4 TC on the Z8. Assuming your 300mm and 1.4TC are good on your DSLR, I would expect as good if not better.
thanks but I haven't bought the TC yet just after the feedback

imho,
Vinny
FWIW I used extensively the 500 pf with f 1.4 tc AND FTZ on my Z9; don't think the FTZ has any impact on the IQ equation.

The picture below was taken at a night game of Texas Tech in Lubbock. This photo was taken with the 300pf mounted on my Z9 with the ftzII at 6400 ISO. Shutter speed of !/1000th of a second with max aperture of 4.0. I shot this photo in DX mode. In lightroom the image was cropped and ran through the AI noise reduction.

With it being a night time game I decided t take the 300pf as it was the largest aperture lens in my back outside of the 70-200 f2.8 S. I also have the 100-400S and the 600pf which would have been pushing the ISO too much. I shot the first half of the game with the 100-400 on the Z9 and then put the 300pf on for the second half.

The second image is the same set up but with a 8000 ISO and 1/1000th of a second shutter speed. Again this is a cropped photo with AI noise reduction in Lightroom. No sharpening has been done to either image.

I know the topic is about the Z8 and I have had similar results with the Z8 with the 300 pf. It is a very good lens and it is the only f mount lens I have left. It fills a place in my bag specifically for sports. I have used the lens in Football, Basketball and Baseball. While it is not as fast with AF as the S line lenses, it is pretty darn fast.

DSC_8669-Enhanced-NR.jpg
DSC_8707-Enhanced-NR.jpg

The picture below was taken at a night game of Texas Tech in Lubbock. This photo was taken with the 300pf mounted on my Z9 with the ftzII at 6400 ISO. Shutter speed of !/1000th of a second with max aperture of 4.0. I shot this photo in DX mode. In lightroom the image was cropped and ran through the AI noise reduction.

With it being a night time game I decided t take the 300pf as it was the largest aperture lens in my back outside of the 70-200 f2.8 S. I also have the 100-400S and the 600pf which would have been pushing the ISO too much. I shot the first half of the game with the 100-400 on the Z9 and then put the 300pf on for the second half.

The second image is the same set up but with a 8000 ISO and 1/1000th of a second shutter speed. Again this is a cropped photo with AI noise reduction in Lightroom. No sharpening has been done to either image.

I know the topic is about the Z8 and I have had similar results with the Z8 with the 300 pf. It is a very good lens and it is the only f mount lens I have left. It fills a place in my bag specifically for sports. I have used the lens in Football, Basketball and Baseball. While it is not as fast with AF as the S line lenses, it is pretty darn fast.

View attachment 98531View attachment 98532

View attachment 98531View attachment 98532
Cheers for that much appreciated, but there a no mention of the 11 TC,which is my question, I already have the z8 and 300pf its the TC I want and can't decide on the 11 or 111, 1.4

Cheers for that much appreciated, but there a no mention of the 11 TC,which is my question, I already have the z8 and 300pf its the TC I want and can't decide on the 11 or 111, 1.4
Before I bought my 600pf. I had both the TC II and III for a bit. A friend decided to go to Canon and I bought his TC1.4 vs III. It was significantly better than the II on both the 300pf and the 500pf.

In sports I like shooting in DX mode with the 300pf. It is faster with a 4.0 aperture and AF.

Back