Z800 + 1.4TC=Inconsistent Results

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

fotogrob

Supporting Member
Marketplace
After owning the Z1.4TC for a while, I gave it a try this week and found the resulting images inconsistent. Some were not as sharp as with the Z600 +TC. They were taken handheld, some shot out of my car window (engine off) at 1/2000 at f/9. I suspect, despite VR Sport on, I need a faster shutter speed to compensate for 1120mm. I admit that at age 72, I'm not as steady as I once was holding that weight for an extended length of time. Anybody have any thoughts? I intend to use this combo sparingly when I know that the creatures will be faraway.

It is not as sharp as the Z600, that probably comes as no surprise. But also don't forget the impact of atmospherics at 1120mm. I use the 800mm at 11200mm quite regularly and it is unusual NOT to encounter them using that focal length. Even at 800mm you need to be aware of the issue.

After owning the Z1.4TC for a while, I gave it a try this week and found the resulting images inconsistent. Some were not as sharp as with the Z600 +TC. They were taken handheld, some shot out of my car window (engine off) at 1/2000 at f/9. I suspect, despite VR Sport on, I need a faster shutter speed to compensate for 1120mm. I admit that at age 72, I'm not as steady as I once was holding that weight for an extended length of time. Anybody have any thoughts? I intend to use this combo sparingly when I know that the creatures will be faraway.
It's often not enough to turn the engine off. The car can be a significant source of heat from the engine, from the interior air coming out the window, or from hot exterior panels. Even without the car's effects the added distance that is often associated with using a longer lens means more opportunities for different air masses to come into play.

Back