Z9 & 500PF AF issues

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi just got a Z9 recently & with my 500PF there is problems with initial focus acquisition & AFC is very slow to respond. The lens works fine on my D500/850 . All settings are the same as on my D500. Could it be the FTZ2 adapter? Have latest firmware. Once i'm locked on the focus is sharp , and even with 120FPS most are sharp (BIF)
Have seen on other forums this is a problem with mirrorless in general??
Thanks for any help

Last edited:
From what I've seen other folks report, I think initial focus acquisition could be more problematic on a mirrorless body under certain conditions. The camera needs to see good contrast in the image under the focus point. If there is insufficient contrast the lens racks in and out trying to find focus. Under such conditions the advice is to manually focus close to where your subject is, then lock on with the autofocus. It's not related to the lens, but more a feature of the specific AF on a mirrorless body compared to a DSLR. Having said that the mirrorless autofocus tends to be more accurate compared to a DSLR once focus is acquired.

Steve published an e-book on autofocus: Secrets To The Nikon Autofocus System: Mirrorless Edition. It's certainly a handy book, well worth its price.

Last edited:
Back