Z9 and 105 mm f/2.8 S for macro and stacking

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

bjanes

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I just acquired the 105 f/2.8 S, supplementing my 105 f/2.8 G and am quite pleased with it. VR is less useful for macro (really closeup in most cases), but the IBIS of the Z9 is said to work better in tandem with lens VR with the newer S line lenses, but I have not tested this. Comments are welcome. For most macro work, manual focus is preferred and here is where the S line lens shines with its focus by wire. See Jim Kasson for more on focus by wire with the Z9. For precise focusing a lens with a long through such as on the Voigtlander macro apo-lanthar 125mm is useful, while most auto-focus have a short through which makes precise focusing more difficult. As Jim reports, the Z lens focus by wire has a fast slew initially, but as focus is achieved the slew is much slower. When attaining best focus most users rack the focus slightly forwards and backwards until best focus is achieved. For this to work, the viewfinder focus update has to be fast so there is no lag and the Z9 achieves this.

Focus peaking allows fast focusing, but it is less useful with viewfinder magnification since the peaking obscures fine detail.

One drawback with the S line lens is reported focus breathing makes focus stacking more difficult, but I have not evaluated this and comments by others are welcome.

Cheers,

Bill

Back