Z9/Z8 missing updated menu items from FW updates 5.0 and 2.0-SOLVED

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

UPDATE I see in the Nikon updated reference Guide it is supposed to be on at A16 (Z9) which is a new added level. Same for the Z8 supposed to be at A15 which is a new level as well.
anyone know how to report this to Nikon? as this is on their website documentation and it is a key feature

Z9 go to Custom Settings Menu

• a16 [Manual focus ring in AF mode]: ON

Z8 go to Custom Settings Menu
a15: [Manual focus ring in AF mode] They have a footnote that says with compatible lenses which is any native Z mount with a focus ring.

Looks like the firmware updates(5.0 and 2.0) have taken the "Manual focus ring in AF mode" option out of both the Z9 and Z8 menus or did it move somewhere else or what replaced it?
I have "Focus Point Selection Speed" at A15 on the Z9 and the Z8 does not have an A15. Just A14 which also "Focus Point Selection Speed

Option a15 (Z8) / a16 (Z9) is available only when the lens attached to the camera has a focus ring.

If you’re using a lens which does not have a focus ring (like the 180-600), it will have a control ring which includes the ability to focus manually when “Lens Control Ring” in f2 is set to M/A. a15 (Z8) / a16 (Z9) will not be in the menu in this case.

If you’re using a lens which has a separate focus ring, a15 (Z8) / a16 (Z9) will be in the menu and in f2, “Lens Control Ring” will not have the option M/A.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Spoke to nikon Technical support FWIW. They tell me all of my lenses are not compatible with this feature. I am pretty sure I had this feature prior to the firmware update
Really! its affects the Focus ring which all of my lenses have.
I have the following lenses
24-200mm Z
14-30 mm Z
70-180 mm Z
180-600 mm Z
Anyone else have this issue or is it just me?

Spoke to nikon Technical support FWIW. They tell me all of my lenses are not compatible with this feature. I am pretty sure I had this feature prior to the firmware update
24-200mm Z
14-30 mm Z
70-180 mm Z
180-600 mm Z
None of your lenses has a focus ring, they have a function ring that can be set to manual focusing. Read the reply from @JAJohnson 😊

Last edited:
24-200mm Z
14-30 mm Z
70-180 mm Z
180-600 mm Z
I believe that these lenses all have a control ring, not a focus ring.

A control ring is I think usually defaulted to manual focus, but it's actually a generic control which can be assigned to many things.

On lenses withba focus ring, this is I think in addition to a control ring. The focus ring is dedicated to manual focus, allowing a control ring to be used for other things.

24-200mm Z
14-30 mm Z
70-180 mm Z
180-600 mm Z
Those lenses do not have a separate focus ring. See my reply to you in this thread (post #2).

Back