Z9 Announcement Oct 5th?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

been think how difficult would it be to have Z7 II w/ lens < 200mm and A1 for wild life?
I disliked using a D850 and a Z camera. I remember shooting with the Z6 and the D850 at an event and being excited about how good the exposures look through the viewfinder. Then I realized I was shooting the D850 and it didn't have an EVF. :oops:

AF area modes are quite different even with those two cameras - and the Z7ii more different. For me, it's more important to have similar controls that I can quickly adjust. It takes a lot of concentration to use different camera models - and different brands and models would need serious practice.

I'd consider the combination short term for some specific needs. The The Z7ii would be fine for almost everything. I wonder if you would miss more shots with setting changes and lack of familiarity than camera performance differences?

Why does it matter if they have an "official announcement" when you already know it's coming? It will be on the market when Nikon has it ready and can get a supply out to stores. The supply is going to be limited, so be ready for that, also. You aren't on an organ transplant list, here. Relax, have a cold drink, and maybe just go outside and shoot pictures with whatever camera you already have. :) :) :) :) :)

I disliked using a D850 and a Z camera. I remember shooting with the Z6 and the D850 at an event and being excited about how good the exposures look through the viewfinder. Then I realized I was shooting the D850 and it didn't have an EVF. :oops:

AF area modes are quite different even with those two cameras - and the Z7ii more different. For me, it's more important to have similar controls that I can quickly adjust. It takes a lot of concentration to use different camera models - and different brands and models would need serious practice.

I'd consider the combination short term for some specific needs. The The Z7ii would be fine for almost everything. I wonder if you would miss more shots with setting changes and lack of familiarity than camera performance differences?
I hated switching between the Canon 1Dx and 5D M4. Controls are so different. It is nice to have only 1 set of controls to master.

... It takes a lot of concentration to use different camera models - and different brands and models would need serious practice...I wonder if you would miss more shots with setting changes and lack of familiarity than camera performance differences?
Importance of controls/ergonomics varies greatly among people. I've always shot multiple Nikon bodies from different generations and therefore significantly different controls. In my case as long as I'm shooting regularly I can shoot them side by side without any confusion. It's only an issue early in the season or if I pick one up that I haven't shot in quite a while. On the other hand I use a Sony A6000 as a travel camera with weeks/months between uses. So every time I pick it up it's almost like starting from scratch. So much so that I'm using my cell phone more and more for travel photo needs.
Some of you are being a bit ridiculous....
I find it almost comical how we can read articles on web sites that openly describe themselves as publishing RUMORS and then get angry at the camera manufacturer when the RUMORS prove to be inaccurate. Particularly because the let down is due solely to the expectations that we've dreamed up based on almost no information at all. And to make it even worse we then go back to the same site for their explanation of what went wrong and what to expect next. None of us are as stupid as all of us....

I switch back and forth between 5 Nikons (D850, D500, D3x, Z7, Z50) without too much trouble. They're all semantically similar enough that moving back and forth is pretty straightforward. The AF behavior is probably the biggest difference, but I generally don't use tracking much and tend to use small/single point AF areas so the difference is minimized.

My travel/backcountry kit is Olympus, and that's different enough that it takes a while to change mindsets, but it's not bad. The tracking and bird AF on the M1X is *quite* different :)

Last edited:
AF area modes are quite different even with those two cameras - and the Z7ii more different. For me, it's more important to have similar controls that I can quickly adjust. It takes a lot of concentration to use different camera models - and different brands and models would need serious practice...

Yesssir! That'll be two Z9'z to go then, sir.

I have no intention of purchasing a Z-9 but I am still depressed because of no announcement
I’m interested in knowing if the Z7ii software update makes it justifiable to upgrade from Z7 to Z7ii. If not , I’m waiting for the next camera that doesn’t even have a name yet. So yes, I am depressed the Z9 isn’t out yet either ! Means my next camera ( Nikon Z No name) isn’t being worked on at all.

I gave up on Nikon and just ordered the Canon R5. I dont think I want to wait anymore. If they put out the Z9 it will take months and months to get it in your hand Just like the 500PF. Maybe longer. To me the z9 is not in my future, to expensive and Im looking for lighter and smaller. The z9 has the vertical grip and even if I had the money i would not go for it. I probably would get something like a z8 but I dont want to waste years waiting for them. Sold off most of my Nikon gear and still have D500, Z6, 500pf, 70-2.8 and Tamron 150-600. It will take time just to get the lens and camera canon combo so just using what I have. Then its going. I have shot with nikon since film. Sad to say bye to an old friend.

I am happy to Wait till late 2022 for some real refined game changing stuff........Canon has to have another one or two upgraded models on the shelf as would Sony.
The industry trend is higher resolution at higher speeds, i think this race has only just begun.

I really hope Nikon will deliver with the Z9, the -7 ev, 16 bit and image file quality improvements mainly is interesting for me, the speed is impressive, you will need some huge cards LOL

Remember the gear only contributes 10 to 20% of the end result.

The Sony A9 i had at 20fps was impressive but i eventually changed down to 10 fps for most applications.

I love Nikon for the colours and file quality, i love the D850 D6, i am not highly dependent on auto tracking or eye tracking etc but i accept its a game changer for many especially on the A1 and R3.

No doubt Nikon will come out with a Z9 II and a Z9 III it seems to be the fashionable thing to do in the industry.

I feel though its all only the beginning.

Oz down under

I have been told that the Z7II and D850 do pretty much the same thing as each other, however the D850 is better for sports action.

Now we are going to see a D850 pumped on steroids being the Z9 LOL.

I only appreciate quantum changes, the Z9 is interesting as a D850 and D6 combined so they say.

The Z9 is a line in the sand for Nikon's technology bench mark and things will only go forward from here.

Oz down under

Back