Z9 Burst Rate Sharpness

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I first want to stress that this is my experience when pixel peeping full res Z9 files at 100%.

If I shoot at single point, AF-C, VR on (sport), with 2000 SS handheld while blasting away at 20fps on a well lit, well contrast subject, single point, should I expect (and I stress pixel peeping) reasonable sharpness with little variance across the entire sequence? I'm finding if I get one bang on image, I expect 2-3 slightly off images before I hit another tack sharp one again.

Same scenario while shooting 10fps and I'm getting more (for lack of better term) "keepers". Trust me, even the slightly off images would clean up well if I was really worried about it.

I guess my question is, does the Z9 in AF-C focus have a harder time keeping up with subtle variances (be it slight camera movement, slight subject movement etc...) across 20 fps vs 10 fps. Is this normal expectation? Initially I expected more across the higher frame rate as it's blasting away so fast.

I should add that I'm using telephotos (last test was with z400 4.5 with and without TC...always wide open) with a subject...oh let's say 30 - 40 feet away.

Are my expectations too high? Curious as to others experiences.

If the answer lies in Steve's Z9 book, don't worry, I'll be ordering today. Thanks for the discounted offer Steve.

TIA,
Rich

I don’t have a z9 (🥲) but my z6 on,y has pinpoint with af-s not af-c.
as per your question, logic suggests EVERY image to be tack sharp. I’d not use sport, just normal vr.
Unless you tend to have an unsteady hand ?

So I never bothered with pinpoint as like the Z6 it is always AF-S. Single point AF-C for me and I stuck with Sport as I don't think I'm the most steady. Perhaps that is part of my problem.

Maybe you're right Patrick. I do get better results on closer objects (which my subjects very rarely are) and the distance from the camera only amplifies my poor technique. I'm still getting great images but perhaps my own limitations are something even the best technology cannot overcome. I'll be changing my profile name to Shaky Rich from now on.

I first want to stress that this is my experience when pixel peeping full res Z9 files at 100%.

If I shoot at single point, AF-C, VR on (sport), with 2000 SS handheld while blasting away at 20fps on a well lit, well contrast subject, single point, should I expect (and I stress pixel peeping) reasonable sharpness with little variance across the entire sequence? I'm finding if I get one bang on image, I expect 2-3 slightly off images before I hit another tack sharp one again.

Same scenario while shooting 10fps and I'm getting more (for lack of better term) "keepers". Trust me, even the slightly off images would clean up well if I was really worried about it.

I guess my question is, does the Z9 in AF-C focus have a harder time keeping up with subtle variances (be it slight camera movement, slight subject movement etc...) across 20 fps vs 10 fps. Is this normal expectation? Initially I expected more across the higher frame rate as it's blasting away so fast.

I should add that I'm using telephotos (last test was with z400 4.5 with and without TC...always wide open) with a subject...oh let's say 30 - 40 feet away.

Are my expectations too high? Curious as to others experiences.

If the answer lies in Steve's Z9 book, don't worry, I'll be ordering today. Thanks for the discounted offer Steve.

TIA,
Rich

Similar settings, not wide open, 70-200 2.8 and 500pf. Shooting fast moving objects while panning (surfers, cars). Tack-sharp across the series which is typically 30-50 frames.

There are sooooooooooooo many variables at play when you're in the field that can affect sharpness from one frame to the next (most of it can be shoved into the broad category or "atmospherics"). It's normal not to have every shot in a sequence sharp, depending on the conditions. In my experience, the Z9 does as well as any camera in that respect.

I've not had that issue, for me it seems like once the camera locks, sharpness remains constant for all the shots in the series. (I'm obviously not including shots where I lost focus for one reason or another). Additionally, In the past, (with my D500), I often found that in a series of shots, if seemed like focus might shift slightly from one shot to the next (ie beak/shoulder/eyes), whereas with the Z9, I have a much better chance keeping it on the eyes, especially when subject detection kicks in.

Do you have any example shots of what you are seeing? There are a LOT of variables in play, some within your control (settings/technique), others not so much (atmospherics, subject movement, lighting), lol. My initial thoughts are these - What are your subjects? At 1/2000, it might be slightly too slow to freeze faster movement. Alternatively, the single point might not be staying exactly on the same place every time; so while the camera is achieving focus for what is under the focus point, it might be slightly off from the desired focal plane for that shot.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies. Like I mentioned, it is subtle but maybe under the conditions I was shooting I was expecting too much. I guess what Steve says puts my mind at ease and his experience across other brands seems to be the same. I will try to do some more controlled shots with a higher shutter speed and see how that works out.

Thank you for all the replies. Like I mentioned, it is subtle but maybe under the conditions I was shooting I was expecting too much. I guess what Steve says puts my mind at ease and his experience across other brands seems to be the same. I will try to do some more controlled shots with a higher shutter speed and see how that works out.
I experience the same thing that you describe but not only with the Z9. Same issue with every camera I've ever owned. But in my case it's not a focus issue it's more due to motion. The telltale is to look for anything sharp in the frame. If nothing in the frame is sharp then it's likely motion. Back in the days of five or six frames/second one of the arguments in favor of shooting in burst mode was specifically to increase the probability of having at least one frame in a burst that's tack sharp. Higher frame rates have simply produced more of both sharp and slightly soft frames.

Now if someone is absolutely convinced of their flawless technique and unable to consider the possibility of motion being an issue, then "atmospherics" is the only other explanation. I've never been fortunate enough to live anywhere that the atmospheric conditions change enough in 1/20th of a second to render one frame soft and the next one sharp. So unfortunately I've not been able to attribute it to that :rolleyes:

I experience the same thing that you describe but not only with the Z9. Same issue with every camera I've ever owned.
Thank you Dan. I guess after hearing from lots of mirrorless shooters on all brands that every frame is tack sharp, I started to question my own camera and abilities. Most likely with myself it's distant subjects amplifying subtle camera/subject movement combined with my less than rock solid technique. No complaints with the Z9 though as I still get some stellar shots.

Thank you Dan. I guess after hearing from lots of mirrorless shooters on all brands that every frame is tack sharp, I started to question my own camera and abilities. Most likely with myself it's distant subjects amplifying subtle camera/subject movement combined with my less than rock solid technique. No complaints with the Z9 though as I still get some stellar shots.
Everyone has a different definition of tack sharp. I've seen a lot of photos the shooter claimed were tack sharp and were anything but. :) Take it with a grain of salt, as they say.

@Steve beat me to it. Internet forums serve a purpose but are a poor gauge to measure your work by.

Back