Z9 Button Programing after the Firmware Update

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

CoyoteCreationsNW

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Like many others, the Cycle Auto Focus Area options caused me to rethink all of my button programing, especially those that I can access with my right hand without removing viewfinder from my eye. Inowhave almostall of my field changes available without looking up. I'm sure there are many other ways to do this. FYI this is where I ended up. I am still working on how to best use lens function buttons and control rings. Only one lens that I own has 2 LnF buttons so I am hesitant to put something I use iften there. The most significant change for me was moving exp. comp. to AF-ON. I often shoot in manual and auto ISO and I find I use exp comp more frequently than just about any other function except Auto Focus Area. What changes have you made with the new possibilities available?

Button Programing Z9
Focus​
Shutter Button or Vertical Shutter Button Half Press​
Cycle Auto Focus Area​
Fn1 Button, Fn3 Button or Focus Mode Button + Front Dial​
Exposure Compensation​
AF-ON Button & AF-ON Vertical Button​
Subject Detection​
Fn2 Button > Recall Shooting Function > My Menu > SD Off > OK​
Toggle Auto ISO or Set ISO​
ISO Button plus Dials or Vertical ISO button plus dials​
Recenter Focus Point​
Sub Selector Center Button & Vertical Sub Selector Button Center​
Zoom Viewfinder 50%​
OK Button​
Toggle Fx/Dx mode​
Exp Comp Button or Vertical Exp Comp Button​
Cycle Display​
DISP Button​
Off – No Action​
Video Record Button​
Review/Playback Images​
Playback Button​
Record Voice Memo​
Audio Button​
QUAL Button​
Set White Balance​
WB Button​
Protect/Fn4 Button​
Base Case Set-up
Auto Focus​
Continuous​
Auto Focus Area​
Auto Area​
Release​
Continuous High 20 fps​
Continuous Release Maximum​
4 to 6 frames​
Subject Detection​
On – Birds or Animal​
Vibration Reduction​
On – Sport​
Mode​
Manual​
ISO​
Auto ISO​

I've found the 2 benefits of the Cycle AF control are, 1) finger pressed replacing the previous Press+scrolling to switch the primary AFmode;

and 2) reduce choices in AF mode to the minimum.

It's this 2nd new features that allows a significantly quicker change, provides one is ruthless on a minimalist selection table.

Otherwise, I carry along happily with BBAF and the hybrid/Handoff AF method. The latter relies on custom AFmode+AFOn assignments to the front buttons. Cycle AF is on RedRecord button. VR is Sport, 20fps, Continuous Release Maximum = Infinity, ISO, -/+ are as original, Display = Subject Mode options as the "Access top item in MyMenu"

Nikon finally permitted an almost Right-hand Only custom Setup on a Pro ILC - the D6 - using Red Record video button for AF switching.
Now ~4 years later it can be set to Cycle AF. Perhaps, we don't have to wait too many years for Nikon's permission for a Custom Setting to toggle a minimalist choice of Subject Recognition modes, or even multiple Recall Shooting Functions :unsure:

Last edited:
Back