Z9 changing from RAW to JEG and back again without settings being changed?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My problem is I found half of my photos in RAW then changed to JPEG then night shots are in RAW.
My next set is all in JPEG and the settings show JPEG.
I did not go into settings.
How can the Z9 go from RAW to JPEG and then RAW?
No pre-capture was used.
Previously, I had problems with the card but a firmware update fixed that. Submitted camera to Z9 to Nikon repairer and they said dirt in card slot?
The only time I had a similar was a D750 doing similar and this needed a major repair.
Yes, I will be looking at the screen very carefully.

Stills taken in video mode are recorded as JPEG.
You can set Recall Shooting Settings or a Custom Bank to include JPEG rather than RAW. Those can be activated with a button press.
The other possible reason is having a programable Fn or Control set for Qual.

The other settings that generate JPEG files are a bit less likely as they usually involve multiple button presses.

Agreed but going from RAW to JPEG then back without any changes by myself. Looking closely I see the JPEG issue started when I tried my Z 180-600.
I agree with your comments but not in this case.

Just spitballing but can the control ring be set to switch quality? Or other multiple funcltion buttons on the body that can be inadvertently bumped? Or are there some picture types that must be jpeg, precapture for example.

Further checking showed that when the Z 180-600 was put on the JPEG issue started and continued until a Tamron lens was added then went back to RAW?
I went out today and used my other Prograde card. No issues.
I had previous problems with the card and will go for a warranty claim.
Hopefully, this is the answer. Maybe.
Thanks to those who have given me advice.
Much appreciated.

Hmmm. I just got my Z 180-600 at the beginning of this week but it did not affect the RAW plus JPEG setting on my Z8.

The one time my Z8 did mysteriously go to JPEG only was the one and only time I ever went into the i menu. I had accidentally changed it from shooting bank A (the only one I had ever set) to shooting bank B. After advice from this forum I changed banks B,C,D to mirror my settings on bank A in case it ever happens again.

That could happen but I leave them alone in i menu. The most puzzling part is RAW then JPEG. Next batch all JPEG.
Z9 has been serviced but Procard has played up previously.

That could happen but I leave them alone in i menu. The most puzzling part is RAW then JPEG. Next batch all JPEG.
Z9 has been serviced but Procard has played up previously.
My guess is that it isn't the card (pure speculation). Could you have changed to shooting 30 fps? My money would be on some setting that was changed, on the lens or camera.
PS. I have heard of this happening by others though don't remember if they ever figured out what happened.

Back