Z9 Firmware 3.0 Full Format

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DougGood

Supporting Member
Nikon has added a "Full Format" option for compatible CFexpress memory cards.
According to page 30 of the supplemental reference guide, this option deletes data from all areas of the card.
The guide suggests using this option if one notices a drop in speed at which data are read or written to the card.
Page 31 recommends using the "full format" option prior to transfer of ownership or disposal of the card.

So I have a few questions:
1. Are all brands of CFexpress type B cards compatible?
2. Are there any more specific guidelines on when to use the "Full Format" option to address read/write performance.
3. How does use of the "Full Format" option positively or negatively affect the life of the card? Most manufacturers speak in terms of "write cycles" when advertising or guaranteeing card life.

i'm speculating here, but
1) i doubt there is special considerations here. if you're using the card, you've already committed to the level of compatibility provided by the card. that is to say, if there are compatibility issues with that card, you're (probably) just as likely to hit it when writing images to it as when formatting it. if formatting the card turns it into a brick, you probably didn't want to use it anyway.
2) my understanding is the primary case where a full format may increase performance is *probably* to check all the blocks on the media and mark any problematic ones unavailable for use, thus having you avoid those problematic blocks when performing normal operations. if you look at this from this perspective i'd say a full format is probably always a good thing when you start using new media and i would format any media i have currently been using this way. from that point on there's probably no reason to do it often, just occasionally and just doing the quick format when you return the media to the camera.
3) yes, but not enough so that you'd care. with this type of card there are a finite number of times any given spot on the media can be written. so every time you use the card it takes away from the lifespan of the card somewhat. HOWEVER, the number of writes is very large in practical terms and the media uses "load leveling" to spread out the writes so no one part of the card wears out too quickly. in practice the number of times you can use the media is much longer than you'll CARE to use the media. that is to say, the card will become too small to be useful to you before it wears out most likely.

Back