Z9 Focus Options

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Pat Cassity

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Just received my z9 a few days ago and I am trying to determine if it has the ability to recall a focal distance. I am finding that when I need to quickly shoot at infinity, such as in a BIF situation, often I am unable to locate the subject quickly enough to focus before the subject is out of range. Maybe there is another way to accomplish this? My 500pf lens has the focus recall feature which I find myself using very often in these types of situations but it’s not available on the new 100-400z. Yourhelp is appreciated!

It's a lens function; the camera can't do it. ( I think it's that way with every manufacturer.) It would be cool if it could though, maybe a firmware update could make it so you can focus the lens at the distance you want and a long press sets it and a quick press recalls it.

It's a lens function; the camera can't do it. ( I think it's that way with every manufacturer.) It would be cool if it could though, maybe a firmware update could make it so you can focus the lens at the distance you want and a long press sets it and a quick press recalls it.
Steve, exactly what I would like for it to do. Since it’s not currently available do you have a suggestion as to how to better locate and focus on a subject as I described? Thanks!

Steve, exactly what I would like for it to do. Since it’s not currently available do you have a suggestion as to how to better locate and focus on a subject as I described? Thanks!
It depends - if the problem is that the subject is too out of focus to see in the viewfinder, I usually start by focusing on the ground under it and then getting it in the viewfinder. I'm also known to just rack the focus ring to get it in the ballpark. If the issue is actually finding the subject with a long lens, this will help:

It depends - if the problem is that the subject is too out of focus to see in the viewfinder, I usually start by focusing on the ground under it and then getting it in the viewfinder. I'm also known to just rack the focus ring to get it in the ballpark. If the issue is actually finding the subject with a long lens, this will help:

Thanks, Steve! Great tips and of course great video

Back