Z9 - Function of the Second Card Slot

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

PAUL50

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have two questions respecting the Nikon Z9 that are somewhat related. First question: For what do folks use the second card slot. How many people use it for over flow and how many use it for backup. On the one hand, it seems to me that using it for backup would be the most sensible otherwise a full days work could be lost. On the other hand, these cards operate almost flawlessly and using it for overflow, especially with a camera that fires at a rate of 20 fps or more, would permit longer shooting opportunities. At the moment, I use my second slot for backup, but I'm thinking that I may have to change that to overflow and I'm looking for the views of the group. Second question: If using the second slot for backup, if the card in the second slot reads/writes slower than the card in the first slot, will that cause the camera to buffer based on the slower card or does it only matter how fast the card in the first slot is. For example, if the card in the first slot can handle 80 frames before the camera begins buffering, and the second, backup slot card, can only handle 40 frames before the camera begins to buffer, will the slower second card cause the camera to begin buffering after 40 frames or will it not begin buffering until 80 shots are on the card in the first slot. It seems to me, if using the second slot for over flow, instead of backup, the camera won't begin to buffer until there are 80 frames on the card until the first card becomes full and then when the card in the second, over flow slot, takes over, the camera will slow down and begin buffering once 40 frames are on the card. But, I don't know the effect of the slower card in the second, backup slot, on the operation of the faster card in the first slot. Hope I've made sense. By the way, this could be a very expensive question, depending on the answer! Look forward to the groups views.

This is one of those topics that's pure preference and/or depends on one's risk management philosophy. I'm an overflow guy. But it doesn't cost me my livelihood if lose a day's worth of shooting. Seems like people who shoot weddings, sports, etc, tend to be in the backup camp.

I use overflow. I don't remember a card going bad in a camera though over 20 years of digital photography I or my wife might have had 1 or 2 bad cards.

With the larger cards today (325 GB Prograde Cobalt) there is no need overflow and with the reliability of the today's cards there is no need for backup.

If you opt for backup, make sure it as fast as the primary card. Otherwise it will be the bottle neck and slow the system down.

I have two questions respecting the Nikon Z9 that are somewhat related. First question: For what do folks use the second card slot. How many people use it for over flow and how many use it for backup. On the one hand, it seems to me that using it for backup would be the most sensible otherwise a full days work could be lost. On the other hand, these cards operate almost flawlessly and using it for overflow, especially with a camera that fires at a rate of 20 fps or more, would permit longer shooting opportunities. At the moment, I use my second slot for backup, but I'm thinking that I may have to change that to overflow and I'm looking for the views of the group. Second question: If using the second slot for backup, if the card in the second slot reads/writes slower than the card in the first slot, will that cause the camera to buffer based on the slower card or does it only matter how fast the card in the first slot is. For example, if the card in the first slot can handle 80 frames before the camera begins buffering, and the second, backup slot card, can only handle 40 frames before the camera begins to buffer, will the slower second card cause the camera to begin buffering after 40 frames or will it not begin buffering until 80 shots are on the card in the first slot. It seems to me, if using the second slot for over flow, instead of backup, the camera won't begin to buffer until there are 80 frames on the card until the first card becomes full and then when the card in the second, over flow slot, takes over, the camera will slow down and begin buffering once 40 frames are on the card. But, I don't know the effect of the slower card in the second, backup slot, on the operation of the faster card in the first slot. Hope I've made sense. By the way, this could be a very expensive question, depending on the answer! Look forward to the groups views.

Never had a failure since film days, but:

On-location client work, backup. Studio (always tethered), overflow. Fun, overflow.

Back