Z9 GPS (disabling without intervention)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

KurtH

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hello all. I've seen different variations of this topic on other forums with no definitive resolution, so I apologize if I'm duplicating an already hashed out topic.

My Z9 will disable the GPS location setting, seemingly at random timeframes and without notification or warning. The setting I'm referencing is under "Location Data (built in)", then "Record Location Data". I'm on 5.0.

Some others have had this issue, with several forums suggesting a battery correlation (if the battery is removed, if the battery dies, etc.). I haven't been able to replicate/pinpoint that potential cause.

I've been burned a few times, having taken short and long trips only to return with no imbedded location data. My fault for not checking the setting before shooting, and it's not the end of my photography world, but aggravating to say the least.

I've checked the manual, nothing found. Anyone know the cause? Much appreciated, Kurt

Yes, this has happened to me a few times on both of my Z9 bodies. I don't remember if these were all prior to FW 5.0 or not. I suspected it was possibly caused by removal of battery for charging for a long time or perhaps a location with GPS blind spot. Fortunately, GPS loss doesn't happen that often.

Yes, this has happened to me a few times on both of my Z9 bodies. I don't remember if these were all prior to FW 5.0 or not. I suspected it was possibly caused by removal of battery for charging for a long time or perhaps a location with GPS blind spot. Fortunately, GPS loss doesn't happen that often.
I tested the battery theory (twice) by removing the battery for 24 hours...GPS stayed enabled. I guess I can test longer periods. Thanks!

GPS module update? Hmmm, I guess I have to look into that one. Thanks!
With firmware 5.0 there were two updates: one for the camera and one for the GPS module. You had to apply them separately. Once you've done that there will be indicators for C (camera) and G (GPS module) as shown below. L is for the lens attached to the camera.

IMG_8629.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

With firmware 5.0 there were two updates: one for the camera and one for the GPS module. You had to apply them separately. Once you've done that there will be indicators for C (camera) and G (GPS module) as shown below. L is for the lens attached to the camera.
Wow, I thought that was going to be the culprit! But apparently, I did the update correctly. And I can't remember how long this has been occurring (i.e., prior to 5.0, or which version may have induced an issue). Thanks for trying, much appreciated.

20240902_212223.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I enjoyed this thread because I have a problem with the GPS location on my Z9. I checked, and I am using the Firmware version G 0.17, so that is not the problem. I just returned from a trip to Tanzania and Kenya, and when I opened all my images in Lightroom Classic, the Library Module GPS indicated a location 21 miles from my home. How can I set the Z9 properly to record the location and post it LRC? I usually prepare a travelogue on my photographic trips; an exact location would be advantageous. Thank you.

Hi RDD. Is the setting under "Location Data (built in)", then "Record Location Data" flipped on?
Hi Kurth, Thank you for the reminder. Somehow, the Record location data was inadvertently switched off. Now, the only question is whether LRC will read the recorded location. Thank you for your assistance. RDD

Hi Kurth, Thank you for the reminder. Somehow, the Record location data was inadvertently switched off. Now, the only question is whether LRC will read the recorded location. Thank you for your assistance. RDD
If it was switched off, it did not record any location data. That issue (GPS turns off inadvertently, with no intervention by the user) was the reason I posted this thread.

There have been some good theories on the issue, here and on other forums, but I don't have a resolution yet.

Back