Z9 loud clunk when IBIS engages?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

janzin

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I just got my Z9 and I'm a little concerned about the very loud clunk when IBIS engages--this happens when I enter playback, any of the menus, turn the camera on/off, etc. I know its the IBIS because if I switch the IBIS off, no clunk. My Z7ii makes a tiny clicking sound but this is really a loud clunk.

* amended to remove the reference to specific lenses as it happens even with no lens attached. I have compared it to the sound made by the Z7ii and my husband's Z5 and they both make a bit of a sound but nothing this loud.

Is this normal??

Last edited:
" It also doesn't happen when I use a lens with the FTZ (no IBIS then.) "

There is still IBIS then.
I thought if the F mount lens has VR, it doesn't utilize the IBIS. Anyway, I stand corrected as I just tried it again with the 500PF and got the same clunk.

Does it happen with any Nikon lenses? My guess is it's activation of a lens focus motor in an older Tamron lens. It may even be a small amount of adjustment. Try testing it with different AF modes including manual focus mode.

Does it happen with any Nikon lenses? My guess is it's activation of a lens focus motor in an older Tamron lens. It may even be a small amount of adjustment. Try testing it with different AF modes including manual focus mode.
Yes it's happening with all lenses, in fact I first noticed it with the two Z lenses I have, the 24-70 F4 and the 24-200. Anyway it happens even with no lens attached.

I recall that I posted about this same issue (or maybe it was in FredMiranda). I recently did in-the-blind photography in south Texas (Santa Clara Ranch), and in that context the powering up and then powering down (with inactivity) of the IBIS system seemed very loud to me, this in a context in which we were asked to be as quiet as possible. Certainly this noise was nothing when compared to the mirror slap of the DSLR's present, but again, in that context of "let's be really quiet" it seemed conspicuous. I am sure there was/is nothing wrong with the camera, and I doubt there is anything wrong with Janzin's Z9, either. And yes, it happens whether or not the sensor protector is activated and no matter what lens is used.

It's not all that audible from even a few feet away, so its something I can live with, but it does seem odd to have this noise even while doing "silent photography" (which is, in fact, turned on).

My hope was that there is a setting where the IBIS just stays on without shutting down after a period of inactivity. This would use battery faster, but I would rather have that than the "thunk" of the IBIS turning off.

I recall that when the first mirrorless cameras came out, e.g., Z7, some people were put off by the small delay associated with the system powering up when you first half-depress the shutter. This issue seems to still be a part of the mirrorless experience; does it not bother anyone anymore?

i have not noticed any noise on my z cameras (Z 9, Z 7ii). As other have suggested try different lenses to see if the problem is lens related or perhaps a camera problem

Thank you GrandNagus50 that's somewhat reassuring. It's definitely not as loud as some mirror slaps but it does seem louder than I'd expect and as I mentioned, louder than on my other Z's. It's probably not loud enough to disturb wildlife, except perhaps in a blind situation as you noted, but it definitely impacts the idea of "silent photography." I just want to make sure there's nothing really defective here as obviously I can't simply exchange it, given the waitlists!

I think it's common to all mirrorless cameras. And I agree - when you need total silence it makes what seems to be a loud noise. I ran into the same issue photographing professional golf with the Z7ii. I had to be very careful about how I activated the camera - and then keep it active to maintain silence when I was ready to take the photo.

My hope was that there is a setting where the IBIS just stays on without shutting down after a period of inactivity. This would use battery faster, but I would rather have that than the "thunk" of the IBIS turning off.

that reminds me, there's a "power saving" option. curious what that does exactly. i haven't turned it on in my camera.

I get that too, but it's on F mount lenses as I don't have any Z lenses. If I turn the VR on the lens off, most of the thunk goes away so I've concluded it's the IBIS. Probably sounds louder because 1. the Z9 doesn't make many other sounds and 2. it combines with the VR of the lens and sounds louder than the VR clunk we're used to. My first Z so I can't speak to the sounds the other Z's make. After using the Z9 for a while, when I go back to the dslr's they seem really loud.

I get that too, but it's on F mount lenses as I don't have any Z lenses. If I turn the VR on the lens off, most of the thunk goes away so I've concluded it's the IBIS. Probably sounds louder because 1. the Z9 doesn't make many other sounds and 2. it combines with the VR of the lens and sounds louder than the VR clunk we're used to. My first Z so I can't speak to the sounds the other Z's make. After using the Z9 for a while, when I go back to the dslr's they seem really loud.

I have two Z9 (one bought, one rented), several Z lenses and a bunch of F lenses. Both cameras and all lenses do it. Pretty sure it’s inherent in the design.

I also complained about this noise back when I had the Z9. I don't know how it compares to the Z7 but the noise bothered me so I guess it was loud enough to bother me. If you put the camera in full silent mode I believe the noise goes away. But yeah it is the IBIS.

Thanks all, between answers here and on another forum I am reassured this is somewhat normal, so I will not worry about it and just enjoy my new camera. And yes, it does go away in Silent mode, so perhaps I will try using that.

Back