Z9 NEF file error message: "Denoise is not currently compatible with this photo format."

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I tested a z9 body to shoot a night lacrosse game. I used the RAW format. I primarily shot at ISO 4000, SS 1/1250. There was enough noise in the images that I wanted to run Denoise.

I am using LRC V 13.1, When I opened the "Detail menu" the Noise Reduction says, "Denoise is not currently compatible with this photo format." Is this standard for the Z9 NEF (RAW)? I commonly use denoise with D850 NEF files and have never seen this message.

Any known work around in the workflow?

The lightrom info linked below says classic version 11 and after should work with these caveats:

Note: (*) Nikon High-Efficiency raw compression modes are currently not supported on:
Windows ARM64
ARMv7 and x86 for Android
(**) Support for Nikon Z 8 Pixel Shift images is currently available only in Camera Raw 16.1.1. Support in Lightroom products will be added in a future release. In the meantime, Z 8 Pixel Shift images can be converted to DNG in Camera Raw 16.1.1 or exported to a non-raw format such as TIFF in Nikon NX Studio and imported into Lightroom.

Humm.... Camera simply shows RAW and doesn't indicate "high-Efficiency raw compression". I am not sure how to know if the files are anything other than RAW (NEF).

My understanding is that LRC Denoise only works on RAW files. However, the quote above says, "... or exported to a non-raw format such as TIFF in Nikon NX Studio and imported into Lightroom."

Humm.... Camera simply shows RAW and doesn't indicate "high-Efficiency raw compression". I am not sure how to know if the files are anything other than RAW (NEF).

My understanding is that LRC Denoise only works on RAW files. However, the quote above says, "... or exported to a non-raw format such as TIFF in Nikon NX Studio and imported into Lightroom."

I believe it must be raw file.

Check your camera on what format the RAW files are written

Dusty can you explain to me how to determine if the files are RAW (lossless compression)? When I review the camera settings I see RAW+JPEG options, a RAW (only) option and several JPEG options. I selected RAW. How do I get to a submenu that allows me to select lossless compression?

I see in a different reference that somewhere in the Z9 menu that there are options: "14 bit; lossless compression, high efficienym and high efficiency options" that can be selected for the RAW storage. Clearly this would have needed to be selected in advance of taking the images. I guess this is the downside of testing a camera body.

"
File format (image quality)
  • NEF (RAW): 14 bit; choose from lossless compression, high efficiencym, and high efficiency options
  • JPEG: JPEG-Baseline compliant with fine (approx. 1 : 4), normal (approx. 1 : 8), or basic (approx. 1 : 16) compression; size-priority and optimal-quality compression available
  • NEF (RAW)+JPEG: Single photograph recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG formats
"

Dusty can you explain to me how to determine if the files are RAW (lossless compression)? When I review the camera settings I see RAW+JPEG options, a RAW (only) option and several JPEG options. I selected RAW. How do I get to a submenu that allows me to select lossless compression?
- Photo Shooting menu > Image quality: choose between different RAW and JPG options
- Photo Shooting menu > RAW recording: choose the compression format between "lossless", "high efficiency*" and "high efficiency"
unlike e.g. the D850 you cannot choose the color depth on the Z9l it always shoots in 14bit

However, I just did a few test shots , imported them into LrC and was able to denoise them all no matter which of the three RAW recording options I chose to save the image. Not sure why you're having the issues you describe

Still a mystery then. You could try Adobe chat help. Bottom right on support page. Takes a while to get past the automatic responses, but can be helpful.

Are you sure it's not a jpeg or tiff? Look at the suffix before trying the denoise? In fact tell us the whole exact file name before processing.

Still a mystery then. You could try Adobe chat help. Bottom right on support page. Takes a while to get past the automatic responses, but can be helpful.

Are you sure it's not a jpeg or tiff? Look at the suffix before trying the denoise? In fact tell us the whole exact file name before processing.
100% certain that the files were saved as RAW on the camera are are NEF files within lightroom. I did download LR (vs LRC) to my desktop. I then downloaded a single image from the CF card into LR. I was able to Denoise that single image. I have no desire to work in LR so I won't pursue that strategy any further.

I don't have any other ideas for you, except perhaps to Uninstall and reinstall lightroom classic. It's working for other folks so something is happening unique to your setup. Might be worth the Adobe support since it is free and if you give permission they will take over your machine remotely to fix it.

I shoot images in High Efficiency RAW and do not have any issues with LrC denoise.

Is it possible that you shot in RAW+JPEG and when importing the images into LrC the were stacked? Is it possible that you are trying to denoise the JPEG?

To close out this thread. MartyD - Nope, I have confirmed MANY times the images were shot in RAW only.

I uninstalled LRC and LR from the computer. After the "unistall" I did a complete restart of the desktop. Then reloaded the LRC (no changes in the version (13.1) application from the Adobe site. My desk top is currently doing a batch denoise on the images. Not sure why it is working now, but the fix, in this isolated case, was to unistall and re-install the LRC software.

Problem solved.

I really like the denoise option for LrC but I don't like having the additional large file DNG file especially when I have to denoise several hundred images before exporting to jpeg and then posting. I do a lot of sports photography and have been very satisfied using Topaz Photo AI on the exported JPEG file. If I am just doing a few images then LrC denoise is the way to go.

I really like the denoise option for LrC but I don't like having the additional large file DNG file especially when I have to denoise several hundred images before exporting to jpeg and then posting. I do a lot of sports photography and have been very satisfied using Topaz Photo AI on the exported JPEG file. If I am just doing a few images then LrC denoise is the way to go.
My Topaz subscription expired and i haven't renewed it. I pulled it up when LrC didn't work for me, but I couldn't justify the cost to renew Topaz just to Denoise these images. I started this thread because I borrowed a Z9 and wanted to test its ability to shoot in low light. My initial discovery was that I was able to shoot at a lower ISO with the z9 than my D850. I still didn't find the images to be acceptable. After the shoot, LrC would not denoise the Z9 RAW files (hence the thread). Grrr. Since the uninstall/install of LrC I am able to denoise, and when complete I will finish the evaluation. Based on running denoise 1 at a time on a few images, the small quality improvement of the Z9 is probably not enough to justify the cost. Onward.....

I know this may be a dopey question but, since you’re high and dry with other answers, is there any chance that your RAW files were converted to DNG on import?
LR will not run AI DeNoise on DNG files (in my experience).

I know this may be a dopey question but, since you’re high and dry with other answers, is there any chance that your RAW files were converted to DNG on import?
LR will not run AI DeNoise on DNG files (in my experience).
LrC (not sure about LR) converts the NEF file into DNG and then DeNoises the image

LrC (not sure about LR) converts the NEF file into DNG and then DeNoises the image
Actually, was talking about DNG format at input.
The question was about ingoing file format, because LRC will not AI Denoise DNG out put from some other apps.
But I just confirmed that LRC will AI Denoise DNG files created by LRC itself, so it’s moot.

Cheers 😎

Final update, after many hours on the phone with Adobe. When I downloaded the images from the CF Express card to my computer at the top of the download page the default setting on the CF Express card was "Add". My XQD card default setting is "Copy". As a result of this the raw data on this specific set of images was not copied to my HD, rather the Smart Preview was added to my computer. So, fundamentally, when I took the CF Express card out of the reader, my computer no longer had access to the data. Now I have no idea why the error message came back as, "Denoise is not currently compatible with this photo format." as this wasn't helpful in identifying the issue and in fact sent me in entirely the wrong direction. Once I set the default on the CF Express card to "Copy" rather than "Add" and downloaded the actual data I no longer have the issue.

Back