z9 off-on switch stiffness issue

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The on-off switch on my z9 has become quite stiff to operate recently. It turning the camera on & off just fine , but the movement is much stiffer than it used to be { maybe some fine dirt/sand particles clog it ???}.
Any magic DYI solution you know of , before sending it to Nikon?

I have not experienced that issue and the camera is pretty well-sealed. Unless you see something obvious on the outside I would send it in for service. There could be something defective or broken inside.

I had that exact same issue with my Z9. First the stiffness in moving the lever. Then nothing, the camera wouldn’t turn on. Tried different batteries. Nothing worked, 11 days out of warranty. Long story short; Nikon repaired it as a “warranty” for free. Defective on/off switch and motherboard. Works fine now. Turnaround time for the mail in via UPS was less than 2 weeks, Virginia>New York>Virginia…….

Well, does it still have a warranty?
It still under warranty, and I'll probably send it eventually... just thought maybe others have had this issue and resolved it DIY somehow.
Funny thing is my late father d7000 had similar issue well after its warranty expired, its still operateable (although it collect dust these days) despite the stiffness, its just annoying,

I had that exact same issue with my Z9. First the stiffness in moving the lever. Then nothing, the camera wouldn’t turn on. Tried different batteries. Nothing worked, 11 days out of warranty. Long story short; Nikon repaired it as a “warranty” for free. Defective on/off switch and motherboard. Works fine now. Turnaround time for the mail in via UPS was less than 2 weeks, Virginia>New York>Virginia…….
Wow, thanks for the head up!! I'm defiantly going to send it now...

It still under warranty, and I'll probably send it eventually... just thought maybe others have had this issue and resolved it DIY somehow.
Funny thing is my late father d7000 had similar issue well after its warranty expired, its still operateable (although it collect dust these days) despite the stiffness, its just annoying,

At least now you can pick a time convenient for you, before it becomes an emergency.

After using it out in the rain where the camera got a little wet, my off-on switch has now become distinctly harder to move. Is using something like Jig-a-loo on it advisable?

I had this problem on my old 850 and now on my z9. The cameras have been used primarily in the tropics and I attribute the problem to sweat from my hands (especially the trigger finger). The 850 was repaired by Nikon in Mexico and lasted a few months and then I had the same problem. Earlier I had an 810 which I used under the same conditions but never had the same problem. Very disappointing.

Even a friend of mine had same issue. Switch inside had green deposits. It could be due to sweat or salt in coastal areas. If you zoom the picture, you will see deposits. Pls contact service center.

Attachments

• 6dda341c-1d85-49f1-a5db-ef3b4a557944.jpeg
    6dda341c-1d85-49f1-a5db-ef3b4a557944.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 3
Even a friend of mine had same issue. Switch inside had green deposits. It could be due to sweat or salt in coastal areas. If you zoom the picture, you will see deposits. Pls contact service center.
As a boat owner I have seen this sort of deposit form on electrical connections. I used to have to clean the electrical connections on the lights once a year to keep things operating,

I found it has to do with humidity and not necessarily exposure to salt water. I had the problem the most when I had the boat moored in fresh water.

We dealt with this problem by adding heat inside the boat which had the effect of drying the inside of the boat and reducing humidity, Even in less humid environments any boat moored in water tends to get damp and wet inside.

the problem with cameras with interchangeable lenses is that they are not impervious to humidity. Even with weather sealing every time you change lenses it brings potentially humid air into the camera,

I also had the sense that this sort of thing happens more with contacts that are exposed to battery current,. Certainly the on/off switch involves current and would be vulnerable. In general boats stored in a dry garage or shed require less maintenance than boats kept in water.

I agree the camera should be sent in for repair, I would also examine how the camera is stored when not in use. If it is exposed to humidity something should be done to reduce the humidity, such s desiccant packages,

Back