Z9 OK/reset remap

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

nautiboy

Supporting Member
Marketplace
OK, I've gotta think I'm just doing something wrong unless possibly it's a bug.

I don't shoot much video, but wanted to try out the Z9's video and so tried it out when I was doing the photos of the amateur rocket launches the other weekend. I was shooting on a monopod with my 120-300f2.8 and often shooting at crazy angles at various points (e.g., shooting straight up and then tracking back down as they descended under parachute (though not always .... :-O ) ). I found it sometimes difficult to get my thumb down to the OK button to reset the AF tracking. Afterward I decided I wanted to map that to another button.

I went into video controls and mapped the RESET (which is what appears to be mapped to the OK button on the multi-selector) to the sub-selector just below the AFON. However it didn't actually reset the tracking when I pressed it. I looked through all the menu items to see if there was an actual "OK" that I could re-map and couldn't find anything better than the RESET.

Am I just missing something or doing something wrong, or is there no way to pick a different button to reset the AF tracking in video mode?

I don't shoot much video, but wanted to try out the Z9's video and so tried it out when I was doing the photos of the amateur rocket launches the other weekend. I was shooting on a monopod with my 120-300f2.8 and often shooting at crazy angles at various points (e.g., shooting straight up and then tracking back down as they descended under parachute (though not always .... :-O ) ). I found it sometimes difficult to get my thumb down to the OK button to reset the AF tracking. Afterward I decided I wanted to map that to another button.

I went into video controls and mapped the RESET (which is what appears to be mapped to the OK button on the multi-selector) to the sub-selector just below the AFON. However it didn't actually reset the tracking when I pressed it. I looked through all the menu items to see if there was an actual "OK" that I could re-map and couldn't find anything better than the RESET.

Am I just missing something or doing something wrong, or is there no way to pick a different button to reset the AF tracking in video mode?

I haven't used that button much on my Z 9 but on my D500, I used it often. It's a tough button to push straight in -- too easy to tip it off-center during the press, which activates a separate function. By default, pushing that little "joystick" straight in re-centers focus point.

I haven't used that button much on my Z 9 but on my D500, I used it often. It's a tough button to push straight in -- too easy to tip it off-center during the press, which activates a separate function. By default, pushing that little "joystick" straight in re-centers focus point.
Yes, I’m familiar with that particular button/joystick as it’s also the same as on my D850 and D6. I’m pretty sure I’m pushing it correctly, it’s just not doing what I think it should.

What AF mode were you shooting? And what do you mean by "reset AF tracking". As I understand it "reset" returns the focus point to center. Which is meaningless if using one of the auto modes that allow the camera to identify and track the subject. Keep in mind this is coming from an expert on the subject who has never shot one second of video with the Z9 nor any of the other 12 or 15 Nikon bodies that I've had over the years :rolleyes:

What AF mode were you shooting? And what do you mean by "reset AF tracking". As I understand it "reset" returns the focus point to center. Which is meaningless if using one of the auto modes that allow the camera to identify and track the subject. Keep in mind this is coming from an expert on the subject who has never shot one second of video with the Z9 nor any of the other 12 or 15 Nikon bodies that I've had over the years :rolleyes:
:) I’m in AFC and 3D tracking. I’m still set for BBF, so when I hit AFON it finds the subject and starts tracking it. To “reset” the tracking you normally hit the OK button (center button in the multi-selector). This moves the AF box to the center and it will stay there until I hit the AFON again, at which point it tries to find a subject and start tracking again. This works fine when I use the OK button. But I want that functionality on a different button. In the Video Custom menu, it seems to indicate that the OK button is set to RESET. So I’ve tried mapping RESET to another button, but pressing that button doesn’t do what pressing the OK button does.

:) I’m in AFC and 3D tracking. I’m still set for BBF, so when I hit AFON it finds the subject and starts tracking it. To “reset” the tracking you normally hit the OK button (center button in the multi-selector). This moves the AF box to the center and it will stay there until I hit the AFON again, at which point it tries to find a subject and start tracking again. This works fine when I use the OK button. But I want that functionality on a different button. In the Video Custom menu, it seems to indicate that the OK button is set to RESET. So I’ve tried mapping RESET to another button, but pressing that button doesn’t do what pressing the OK button does.
Oh I get you now. Same function on different button doesn't have same result.

That's where you lost me :(
Yeah, well I used to shoot more video, but with a video camera not a DSLR/MILC and it was mostly underwater video. What I found was that doing average video was relatively easy, arguably even easier than photographs. But doing *good* video was so much harder and more time-consuming. So I opted for the easy way out and focused more on photography. :)

The thing is, as my “real”/main profession, audio/video is what I do, but on the playback/rendering/streaming side of things.

Yes, I’m familiar with that particular button/joystick as it’s also the same as on my D850 and D6. I’m pretty sure I’m pushing it correctly, it’s just not doing what I think it should.
Sorry, I should have realized you would know that. I was also wrong about the default for the sub-selector button in Video. I just checked G2 Custom Controls for Video and the default for the Sub-selector Center is AE/AF Lock.

Last edited:
Back