Z9 problems down loading images.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Any help would be greatly appreciated , a computer guru i definitely am not ! After receiving my Z9 and going through Steve's new Z9 book i took it out for a spin . came back home and tried to down load pictures onto computer . and my computer says cannot be opened by lightroom. the cards are Delkin black cfe express , shooting raw large files . my computer is a MacBook pro ( 3.1 ghz intel core i7) using Lightroom cc version 7.3 . Really not sure what to do . Do i need to get a different program to edit and view these files ? My other camera is a D5 using xqd cards and i don't have any issues editing those photos . Also i would like to thank Rose for her help getting me fixed up to post on here . i have learned so much from Steve's books and ALL the smart people on this forum .

Lightroom Classic is on Version 12.0.1 (subscription). Your version doesn't support the latest cameras. You can use Nikon's NX Studio which is free.

Last edited:
Any help would be greatly appreciated , a computer guru i definitely am not ! After receiving my Z9 and going through Steve's new Z9 book i took it out for a spin . came back home and tried to down load pictures onto computer . and my computer says cannot be opened by lightroom. the cards are Delkin black cfe express , shooting raw large files . my computer is a MacBook pro ( 3.1 ghz intel core i7) using Lightroom cc version 7.3 . Really not sure what to do . Do i need to get a different program to edit and view these files ? My other camera is a D5 using xqd cards and i don't have any issues editing those photos . Also i would like to thank Rose for her help getting me fixed up to post on here . i have learned so much from Steve's books and ALL the smart people on this forum .

Update LR.

Lightroom is on Version 12.0.1 (subscription). Your version doesn't support the latest cameras. You can use Nikon's NX Studio which is free.
Lightroom CC is now Lightroom and version is 6.0. Lightroom Classic is still Lightroom Classic and you're right, Version 12.0.1.

Reactions: eft
Thank you all for getting back to me . This maybe a real stupid question again a computer guru i am not , I bought the lightroom program at Best buy if i download the newest version will i loose the one i bought ? Or will it show up as a new program ? Nikons NX studio is this a good program and friendly to use ?

Thank you all for getting back to me . This maybe a real stupid question again a computer guru i am not , I bought the lightroom program at Best buy if i download the newest version will i loose the one i bought ? Or will it show up as a new program ? Nikons NX studio is this a good program and friendly to use ?

You bought a one year subscription. Just go to the Adobe creative cloud app on your computer and click update. It will be free to update. It should read the z9 no problem.

You bought a one year subscription. Just go to the Adobe creative cloud app on your computer and click update. It will be free to update. It should read the z9 no problem.
You would have to pay $10 a month for a Lightroom/Photoshop subscription. You get continual updates and full functionality as long as you pay but lose some functions if you stop.

You would have to pay $10 a month for a Lightroom/Photoshop subscription. You get continual updates and full functionality as long as you pay but lose some functions if you stop.

That would be after the first year in the best buy case since they sell the one year subscription to the photography plan.

You never really "bought" your first version. You paid for a year subscription. Installing the newest version will replace the old and update to a new catalog.

The lightroom program i bought was not a subscription it was bought as a program and downloaded this was probably 5 years ago haven't paid for any kind of memberships since . i guess thats why i was wondering if it would some how merge into the program i already own or down load as a whole new program?

In your Fi der app you will see a folder called Pictures (or similar). Select it then edit and select New Folder. For name, I usually just date it eg 20221125
now I connect my camera using the usb -c cable. Open Nikon Transfer 2 . Select your camera as the source and browse to the folder yiu just created as target, hit Transfer to copy everything off your card.

if you can’t see Nikon Transfer, open NX Studio and import files from there….it will open. Ikon Transfer for you.

None of this requires any post processing app. You’re just copying (transferring) images from your camera to your Mac.

The lightroom program i bought was not a subscription it was bought as a program and downloaded this was probably 5 years ago haven't paid for any kind of memberships since . i guess thats why i was wondering if it would some how merge into the program i already own or down load as a whole new program?
Hmmm. I thought the first subscription version of LR CC was version 7.

"Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC (unofficially: version 7.0) was officially released on October 18, 2017. It is the first version of Lightroom that is not available with a perpetual license (one-time purchase price); instead, it must be licensed through a monthly subscription model, with the fee initially set at US$9.99/month. Once the user stops paying the monthly fee, the program will be limited to viewing existing catalogs, without the ability to apply further changes to images."

Whatever the case with your LR program, you will need to update it to work with you Z9. It may or may not replace the older version, but the catalog with all your edits, etc. will remain as an updated one to work with the new LR version.

I see, I assumed you bought it recently. In that case if you want to use Lightroom either use the old one but convert the files with the dng converter or subscribe to the $9.99 per month version. Or use another program like the free Nikon NX Studio.

I'd say you spent a bundle for the camera so if you want to use Lightroom you should not cripple yourself with the old Lightroom.

I realize you bought the software program and don’t have to pay a monthly fee to use it, but you are missing out on some great updates, updates that were the main reason I got into Lightroom Classic. The newest version makes it so quick and easy to mask a subject and/or background and to then adjust only those parts for editing. And it now even allows you to select individuals within the frame and then select specific body parts on that person for editing. The time saved using these newer tools makes it worth the $10/month to me. You might want to look into the newer version to see what you are missing.

Back