Z9 rain cover ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I’ve heard the Z9 is pretty weather proof and I have had it out in some weather but wondering if I ought to have a rain cover for heavy rain ? I’ve seen them at the photo shop for a decent price. I’m generally using the 500 5.6 pf lens.
Is a rain cover overkill and something extra to carry ?

Counter point: I never use a rain cover, regardless of how heavy the rain. Worst case, keep it in th ebag for extended periods or hikes or put a plastic bag over it, does the same job.

Tried in tested between Iceland, the Alps and the Sahara (not rain, but dust is a thing as well). Never had a single moisture related problem, ever. Just make sure to properly dry the gear (wiping off the exterior and maybe put it over a radiator over night) and you are good.

I've used very cheap ones with no issues. 2 pack for 7GBP. All of my camera are weather resistant but just as I don't throw my watch in the bath to see if it is waterproof, I don't take the risk with my cameras. Not a wildlife shooter so they are most likely more delicate than the more expensive ones which does not matter for my use.

Others may have different interpretations of camera gear’s resistance to moisture, but I think the best approach is that the gear most folks that visit these forums use is “moisture resistant“ but not “moisture proof. Thus, rain covers are most certainly advisable IMHO. Moreover, they’re useful as protection from blowing sand/dust and salt spray in ocean settings.

Last edited:
Rain covers are a great way to sell another 100 bucks of gear. Would I submerge my gear? No. Do I worry using it in ocean spray, under a waterfall or under pouring rain for even extended periods? No. Just don't open any ports or change lenses.

Did all off the above in my life starting with a F4 over D70 and D700/300 to a Z6, even with lenses not technically weather sealed. Never ever had a single problem nor fungus.

i don’t usually use one but i could see cases where it might be warranted/practical.

one issue i’ve has us moisture buildup inside the cover. it also seems problematic using a cover when you are moving a lot and hand holding

i think i’m mostly consider a cover if the camera was in a static location on a tripod with a cover that is open on the bottom

i don’t usually use one but i could see cases where it might be warranted/practical.

one issue i’ve has us moisture buildup inside the cover. it also seems problematic using a cover when you are moving a lot and hand holding

i think i’m mostly consider a cover if the camera was in a static location on a tripod with a cover that is open on the bottom

+1 on open at the bottom. Using covers for handholding and carrying resulted in submerged cameras without anyone realizing it until hours later. Pretty sure the rain was less harmfull. Also worth noting, despite being partially submerged for quite a while, only one camera in the whole group stopped working, but did so again without issue after being dried over a radiator in a hotel room over night, and did so for years after.

Static on a tripod, yeah, a rain cover might be helpful. Just keep an old rain jacket around for that so.

fwiw, what i do is i have a waterproof messenger bag and i put a small towel on it.

when shooting, i’ll just keep the camera pointed down, close against my body when i’m not taking a photo to reduce the profile and keep the business end of the lens dry

when there are lulls and i’m not actively shooting, i’ll use the towel to towel off the camera and put it in the bag

be careful to make sure you take everything out and dry it out at the end of the day

i also avoid changing lenses in the rain.

I’ve been out in pouring rain with no problems so far but a friend was surprised I didn’t have one.. she’s a cannon shooter and I don’t know her set up but definitely top of the line with the 400 2.8 lens.
Anyhow, I’ve been second guessing myself and it seems it’s all across the board. I’m always hand holding and never on a tripod. I do always dry my gear off but putting by a heater isn’t always possible/ camping. Z9 and the 500 5.6 are weather sealed. I’m torn. Something else to carry but maybe in a down pour I should be using one.
And yet the whole situation of water trapped inside the cover would be scary.
Might be a good question for Nikon services ..
And I’m curious what would Steve say ? Rain cover or no with a Nikon Z9 and the 500 5.6 pf or 600 6.3 ( my next lens). Every item adds weight but gear protection is essential. Is it though in this instance ? And never on a tripod.

Last edited:
I’ve been out in pouring rain with no problems so far but a friend was surprised I didn’t have one.. she’s a cannon shooter and I don’t know her set up but definitely top of the line with the 400 2.8 lens.
Anyhow, I’ve been second guessing myself and it seems it’s all across the board. I’m always hand holding and never on a tripod. I do always dry my gear off but putting by a heater isn’t always possible/ camping. Z9 and the 500 5.6 are weather sealed. I’m torn. Something else to carry but maybe in a down pour I should be using one.
And I’m curious what would Steve say ? Rain cover or no with a Nikon Z9 and the 500 5.6 pf or 600 6.3 ( my next lens). Every item adds weight but gear protection is essential. Is it though in this instance ? And never on a tripod.
@Steve - your thoughts? Thanks!

If you have already been in pouring rain without issues, you already have your answer. And a better one than anyone else, especially Nikon itself for reasons from liability risks to them not selling rain covers and promoting their weather sealing, can give you.

I have sat for hours in a hard driving rain photographing loons. I would not do that if I didn't have rain gear that covered my camera and my lens. I used a Lens Coat rain cover similar to this one since I knew in advance that the weather that day would be tough. If the rain is forecasted to be spotty, or lighter, I might carry something similar to these in my bag in case an unexpected need arises.

It is really a personal decision and you shouldn't be intimidated by those that want to "shame you" into not using rain gear if you want to. Some people are comfortable taking risks and some folks are risk adverse.....with a whole range in between. ;)

There is not right or wrong answer. Only you know the conditions you will be facing and your personal comfort level.

If you have already been in pouring rain without issues, you already have your answer. And a better one than anyone else, especially Nikon itself for reasons from liability risks to them not selling rain covers and promoting their weather sealing, can give you.
I have been out in rain and no problem but it I’m just wondering if this is wise and I’m second guessing it or was, just because it hasn’t been a problem, could it be in the future ?
I’m leaning towards leaving it be, no rain cover. Dry off good when done.
Also, I am using a prime lens, no moving parts like potentially in a zoom.

Last edited:
I have been out in rain and no problem but it I’m just wondering if this is wise and I’m second guessing it or was, just because it hasn’t been a problem, could it be in the future ?
I’m leaning towards leaving it be, no rain cover. Dry off good when done.
Also, I am using a prime lens, no moving parts like potentially in a zoom.
it’s good to reevaluate from time to time

but just because you reevaluate, doesn’t mean your original choice was wrong

it’s normal to be influenced by other people’s certainty. i’ve had similar doubts on the same topic and it did cause me to reevaluate, but in the end i came to the same conclusion, however with a bit more deep and nuanced thinking about my choice

and of course it ok to change your mind too, if that’s what your reevaluation points you to

one thing i’m a bit paranoid about is water right against the seals. like around the lens mount. my suspicion is that water will persist in the groove next to the lens mount well after the camera appears dry. my concern is removing the lens, and bits of water get on the inside of the seal, then when you reattach a lens the drops of water are now on the inside

same with the card door

my approach is either i avoid taking the lens off altogether, or if i do take the lens off i leave it unattached all night to let it dry

Here in the Pacific Northwest rain may be a little different than some of you experience. We get winter storms that can drop 10 inches of rain in 24 hours and last for more than 2 days. Parts of Olympic National Park have recorded more than 170 inches of rain in a year. Very different from a thunderstorm in the midwest or south where the rain can be heavy for an hour or two and then change to clear skies. I use Hydrophobia raincovers from Think Tank. They are expensive but they just work. Clear plastic lets you see all of the rear screen. The viewfinder insert extends through the cover so the look is the same as with no cover. Condensation can occur if the cover is completely closed. I leave the bottom unzipped and hold the lens through the bottom zipper. I do not see condensation with the zipper partially open.

I’ve never been confident shooting in pouring rain for long stretches no matter what Nikon tells me about its waterproof gear. When shooting sporting events (football or soccer) in anything more than a light shower, I use ThinkTank Hydrophobia for my D5/400/2,8 and Aquatech on my other body with the 70-200/2.8. Easy to carry and install and lets ne sleep at night,

Back