Z9 RAW codecs

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Wes Peterson

Supporting Member
Marketplace
How many have done your own testing between lossless compressed, high efficiency star and high efficiency? I seriously struggling to find any difference when pushing and pulling exposure. When viewed at 300% it looks like Im viewing the same file twice in comparison view. What has been everyone's experience in this department?

i haven't in part because i'm lazy and hoping someone else will do a good, controlled review and i can just read it! 😂

random thoughts:

1) i think you need a really good, static test scene with lots of nice gradients of light and shadow. that is to say, _gradual_ drop offs from bright light to deep shadow. color and pattern as well as you can get color impact and patterns/textures may be affected by compression.

2) i'm guessing performance will vary by iso and by exposure. so an optimal test would systematically sample different isos and different exposures and combinations thereof.

3) i think you want to focus on examining the highlights and dark shadow areas for detail as those are most likely to show impact.

i haven't in part because i'm lazy and hoping someone else will do a good, controlled review and i can just read it! 😂

random thoughts:

1) i think you need a really good, static test scene with lots of nice gradients of light and shadow. that is to say, _gradual_ drop offs from bright light to deep shadow. color and pattern as well as you can get color impact and patterns/textures may be affected by compression.

2) i'm guessing performance will vary by iso and by exposure. so an optimal test would systematically sample different isos and different exposures and combinations thereof.

3) i think you want to focus on examining the highlights and dark shadow areas for detail as those are most likely to show impact.
FWIW I ran a few tests in the studio on a static subject using flash at ISO64 I cant tell the difference between a 50mb file and an 18 mb file.

Back