Z9 - Recall Shooting Function Questions

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BarkingBeans Coffee

Michael H
Supporting Member
Marketplace
As I attempt to change muscle memory with FW 3.0, I have set up my Fn1 and 2 for different wide areas with focus on. Now I want to set up Fn3 for single point, no subject detection which I have done with f2, but it seems that unlike the other two buttons I can't set it to "focus on" and I have to push the shutter. Does anyone know of another way to do this? The "subject detection" is essential and my understanding is that the only way to turn it off immediately is recall shooting functions.

Steve's Z9 Set Up eBook goes into the focus modes and customizing buttons in detail. Really a great resource and will answer almost all your questions.

Was provided the info; short answers - since single point doesn't use subject recognition don't use RSF for that. RSF would require the shutter push for focus, but I don't need it.

I'm not sure I understand your precise needs, which I interpret as you want 2 conflicting features on Fn3. All AF modes lose Subject-Recognition if it's OFF. Equally, only 1 RSF/Custom bank is permitted by Nanny Nikon. In many cases, a RSF [Hold] setup is preferable (press once and it's active until pressed again);

RSF is the only way to toggle Subject-Recognition On/Off;

Combining your RSF [Hold] with the command line turning OFF Subject Recognition;

RSF on Fn3 works well, being accessible from Vertical or Portrait grips;

Obviously, one can set RSF to change many other settings, including a Focus Mode. While RSF [Hold] is active, its settings remain dominate as you press AFOn with the Shutter release. Here again, BBAF gives control over both focus and/or the shutter.

As I attempt to change muscle memory with FW 3.0, I have set up my Fn1 and 2 for different wide areas with focus on. Now I want to set up Fn3 for single point, no subject detection which I have done with f2, but it seems that unlike the other two buttons I can't set it to "focus on" and I have to push the shutter. Does anyone know of another way to do this? The "subject detection" is essential and my understanding is that the only way to turn it off immediately is recall shooting functions.

For quite some time, I have Fn2 to CA 1*1, so it becomes Single-Point when RSF turns Subject Recognition OFF. I think Steve has similar albeit RSF is on Lens-Fn (i think!)

For quite some time, I have Fn2 to CA 1*1, so it becomes Single-Point when RSF turns Subject Recognition OFF. I think Steve has similar albeit RSF is on Lens-Fn (i think!)

This seems to be the best solution as it can have eye detect or not. I like my single point on Fn3 so I may have the RSF elsewhere ( I do have it set for the hold function). This is like a two in one. Thank you.

Back