Z9 RSF HOLD ISSUES

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Manual says RSFhold can be used ONCE per Bank. I successfully set this up on my Bank A. Works flawlessly. Tried to duplicate on banks B,C,D. Will not work. Pressing the assigned function button produces nothing. Very frustrating. Thoughts appreciated.

You can have one implementation of RSF in each custom bank (the hold and non-hold versions of RSF will be the same in a given custom bank). So RSF is stored in the custom settings in a custom bank, not the shooting bank.

Are you using the latest firmware for your Z9? FW 4.01, I think.

There was an early firmware glitch for the Z9 where, if I recall correctly, RSF ended with the same features in each custom bank, even where you tried to make them different from one custom bank to another. Generally each implementation of RSF would take the features of the last one you set up.

Nikon fixed that in a firmware update (don’t remember which version of the firmware). So now RSF can be in each custom bank with different features (or of course with the same terms in more than one custom bank if you want that).

Appreciate your time. Firmware 4.01.
This is a puzzle. Correct about location in custom controls. Yet, if I keep Shooting bank A active in All banks then RSF Hold is active in every bank. ( ABCD banks having completely different settings in custom controls). Go figure.

Welcome to BCG
Getting the full functional scope of Bank settings in a Nikon ILC requires switching the Photo (Shooting) bank with the Custom bank.

This has fickle issues using RSF (RSF Hold ) in the Z9 because certain useful settings in the Z9. A pertinent example is using RSF to hotswitch Custom Area AF mode dimensions, as these are set in the Photo Menu (not Custom a menu options)..... Experimenting reveals these quirks.

[....Nikon Nanny logic strikes again.... Both versions of RSF are controlled in Custom menu as are most of the Autofocus commands.... The D6 is more logical IME at least using RSF to hotswitch Custom AF area settings]

IME the quickest way to change banks is via the iMenu: setting the Shooting and Custom banks as the 2 right hand items in iMenu. It's easy to change them with the right thumb only, with the A and D banks deliberately setup as my most frequent switches ( between Standard and Action)

Last edited:
Some threads fyi

Welcome to BCG
Getting the full functional scope of Bank settings in a Nikon ILC requires switching the Photo (Shooting) bank with the Custom bank.

This has fickle issues using RSF (RSF Hold ) in the Z9 because certain useful settings in the Z9. A pertinent example is using RSF to hotswitch Custom Area AF mode dimensions, as these are set in the Photo Menu (not Custom a menu options)..... Experimenting reveals these quirks.

[....Nikon Nanny logic strikes again.... Both versions of RSF are controlled in Custom menu as are most of the Autofocus commands.... The D6 is more logical IME at least using RSF to hotswitch Custom AF area settings]

IME the quickest way to change banks is via the iMenu: setting the Shooting and Custom banks as the 2 right hand items in iMenu. It's easy to change them with the right thumb only, with the A and D banks deliberately setup as my most frequent switches ( between Standard and Action)
Thanks for your time. Agree on iMenu. Spoke with Nikon. They suggested I delete everything and start from scratch. Stopping often to check is RSF active. That way I‘ll catch the problem. Forget that !!! Will work around it for now Update on firmware may fix.

Last edited:
Back