Z9 Sensor Problem?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I noticed this problem the other night after shooting with my Z9 and my back up card ( Dlekin Black 256gb CF Express ). Then tonite I see it with my ProGrade 512gb. About a dozen out of 165 images and about the same with the Delkin out of 340 images look like these and worse. . The pics took a long time to render into lightroom before importing which was alarming and a long time to import for such fast cards. Any insight would be appreciated. Is my camera getting packed off to NIkon?

Attachments

• Defect (1 of 1)-2.jpg
    Defect (1 of 1)-2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Defect (1 of 1)-3.jpg
    Defect (1 of 1)-3.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Defect (1 of 1)-4.jpg
    Defect (1 of 1)-4.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 42
Might be a sensor issue. Might be a problem with the hardware which writes to the cards. I suggest sending the camera to Nikon for diagnosis and repair.

Addendum: @Mal Paso makes a good point. The cards may be corrupted somehow. To check, do a full format of a card you haven’t had a problem with in the camera. Then shoot a series of photos to see if the problem continues to occur. If so, it’s probably a problem with the camera. If not, the other cards may be faulty.

Last edited:
Do the pictures look the same playbacked in the camera? Does the viefinder look the same?

If not, it's probably not a sensor issue.
Also, a defective sensor should not cause slower download.
However, the files may become corrupted inside the camera, since you observed that error using differnt cards.

Were those images shot in jpeg or raw?

Maybe your card reader has a problem. I'd try another card reader or downloading via USB cable before sending in the camera.
You may even try a different computer for download.

I noticed this problem the other night after shooting with my Z9 and my back up card ( Dlekin Black 256gb CF Express ). Then tonite I see it with my ProGrade 512gb. About a dozen out of 165 images and about the same with the Delkin out of 340 images look like these and worse. . The pics took a long time to render into lightroom before importing which was alarming and a long time to import for such fast cards. Any insight would be appreciated. Is my camera getting packed off to NIkon?
I had exactly this kind of problem once and it turned out that it was due to the hard disk on which I was saving my images being defective (or maybe the usb port - I don't remember for sure - more than 8 years ago I think - but I threw the disk away).
I hope it's the same for you.

Last edited:
I agree with the previous suggestions that you try a different card reader and cable. Another thing to try might be to transfer files directly from the camera over USB, Ethernet, or Snapbridge.

Another scenario to consider, although I don't think this is very probable: I once noticed that my images were randomly showing some corruption. I eventually traced the problem to the RAM in my computer, which had gone bad. I confirmed the memory fault using memtest86 and got the RAM replaced under warranty.

Looks like file corruption which would explain slow processing. Do they look like this in camera, viewed on the rear screen?
When you suggested this I thought about looking at them with Fast Stone Image Viewer and they're clean! So it might be the reader. Because 2 cards did the same thing I don't think it's the cards, Thanks for the idea!
Do the pictures look the same playbacked in the camera? Does the viefinder look the same?

If not, it's probably not a sensor issue.
Also, a defective sensor should not cause slower download.
However, the files may become corrupted inside the camera, since you observed that error using differnt cards.

Were those images shot in jpeg or raw?

Maybe your card reader has a problem. I'd try another card reader or downloading via USB cable before sending in the camera.
You may even try a different computer for download.
Raw. I ordered a new cable for the card reader. Cheap things first!

I suggest that you try and delete any cache/d thumbnails that software may have in place as those databases can and do keep incorrect data.

If you are using Windows OS then I would also test your files with NxStudio directly from the camera using a USB-c cable.
Faststone Image Viewer has a cached thumbnail database as a default as an example.
Get a USB-c cable that will transfer at least 5Gbps and has Power Delivery capability, PD is an added bonus if you ever want to charge the camera from a powerbank.

Back