Z9 set up/ Henry Hudson Photography/ Any wildlife tweak recommendations ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am using lossless full size but haven't used high efficiency star much to speak of. I have went to shutter focus on the Z9 and its working really well for me. I understand BBF is a hard habit to break and it sure was for me.
I might set up a second bank to check out not using BBF on larger birds like eagles when I get a chance, The small fast birds were just to much to try and get in motion and get used to not using BBF. I’ll try the lossless full size next.

I might set up a second bank to check out not using BBF on larger birds like eagles when I get a chance, The small fast birds were just to much to try and get in motion and get used to not using BBF. I’ll try the lossless full size next.
It seems to me the noise is a little easier to clean up as well as bringing out shadow detail with the large file but the Lossless star might be good enough.

I can tell you what works best for me. I've had both generations of the Z6&7 and currently have the Z9 as well as the Z6ii and Z7ii. I have had the Z9 out every day since it arrived and have it set up in a way that's great for me but might not work for others.
Function 1 button-AF area mode
Function 2 button-silent shutter
Function 3 button-Full area AF
Function4 button-FX/DX
AF/ON-3D tracking
Movie record button-Metering
Lens function button-AE lock
Shutter focus
This setup works fantastic for nearly everything I've thrown at it. I normally keep in High shutter backed down to 10FPS and very rarely bump it to 15 FPS. I probably have well over a hundred hours with this camera now and think its pretty phenomenal. The only two gripes I have are, the weight and not understanding why they have taken away the ability to assign spot metering to the lens function button.
This is getting to the point where it's almost like flying, and I need a checklist to take a photo! I'm going to go look for my Brownie and some 120 film!

Last edited:
Back