Z9 show effects of settings not working/accurate above/below 3EV

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Dear members,

I have 2 questions regarding exposure compensation -
1. D10 is set to show effects of settings and in A, P or S mode (let’s say auto Iso is on also) - when dialling in exposure compensation above +3 EV or below -3 EV the effects are not seen on the LCD, only in the actual photo taken - is this normal ?

——

2. As above but in “Manual mode” - you can see the changes of exposure compensation above +3 EV and below -3 EV - however they are not accurate - let me illustrate this as below, for example let’s say exposure compensation is at:
0 EV the camera is at 50S/S, f6.3 (auto ISO) is 16000
At -1 EV camera is at 50S/S, f6.3 (auto ISO) is 8000
At -2 EV camera is at 50S/S, f6.3 (auto ISO) is 4000
At -3 EV camera is at 50S/S, f6.3 (auto ISO) is 2000
However…
At -4 EV camera is at 50S/S, f6.3 (and instead of being at ISO 1000) - what you see is the image starts going down in brightness, slowly to ISO 64 (this can take up to 10/20 seconds), you can take shots during this time and you will have various images with different exposure settings.

The thing is if you set to “adjust for ease of viewing” (obviously you can’t see the effects Live) but the final image is at correct exposure for the dialled in -4 EV exposure compensation / of 50S/S, f6.3 ISO 1000.

The same thing happens for + exposure compensation -
for example let’s say at:
0 EV the camera is at 1/5S/S, f1.8 (auto ISO) is 100
At +1 EV camera is at 1/5S/S, f1.8 (auto ISO) is 200
At +2 EV camera is at 1/5S/S, f1.8 (auto ISO) is 400
At +3 EV camera is at 1/5S/S, f1.8 (auto ISO) is 800
However…
At +4 EV camera is at 1/5S/S, f1.8 (and instead of being at ISO 1600) - The ISO keeps rising well past ISO 1600 and the longer you leave the camera it will end up at the maximum ISO set for ISO sensitivity, in my case ISO 12800.

The above just doesn’t seem normal to me - Can someone advise if they get the same.
I have reset camera and reinstalled firmware 4.1 - I cannot recall if this occurred in previous firmware.

My only random thought is whether the camera has an automatic long exposure override, which might have to do with it since you seem to have pretty long shutter speeds if I read your chart correctly. Just a shot in the dark to try it at faster speeds see if it still is wonky.

The same thing happens for + exposure compensation -
for example let’s say at:
0 EV the camera is at 1/5S/S, f1.8 (auto ISO) is 100
At +1 EV camera is at 1/5S/S, f1.8 (auto ISO) is 200
At +2 EV camera is at 1/5S/S, f1.8 (auto ISO) is 400
At +3 EV camera is at 1/5S/S, f1.8 (auto ISO) is 800
However…
At +4 EV camera is at 1/5S/S, f1.8 (and instead of being at ISO 1600) - The ISO keeps rising well past ISO 1600 and the longer you leave the camera it will end up at the maximum ISO set for ISO sensitivity, in my case ISO 12800.

The above just doesn’t seem normal to me - Can someone advise if they get the same.
I have reset camera and reinstalled firmware 4.1 - I cannot recall if this occurred in previous firmware.
I just tried your second example. I got the expected ISO increase until +4.3 EV and then ISO jumped to the maximum, ISO 25600.

1/5 sec, f/6.3
EV 0: ISO 250
EV +1: ISO 500
EV +2: ISO 1000
EV +3: ISO 2000
EV +4: ISO 4000
EV +4.3 ISO 25600

It’s unusual for me to have EV set higher than +2.3, so I have never tried this exercise before. It may be that the ISO response of the exposure system becomes nonlinear at the upper and lower extremes. Personally, I’m not concerned by it.

Once in the menu where you select "show effect of settings" there's not an arrow to the right but push the directional pad to the right and make sure you have "always" selected. By default it is not.

I just tried your second example. I got the expected ISO increase until +4.3 EV and then ISO jumped to the maximum, ISO 25600.

1/5 sec, f/6.3
EV 0: ISO 250
EV +1: ISO 500
EV +2: ISO 1000
EV +3: ISO 2000
EV +4: ISO 4000
EV +4.3 ISO 25600

It’s unusual for me to have EV set higher than +2.3, so I have never tried this exercise before. It may be that the ISO response of the exposure system becomes nonlinear at the upper and lower extremes. Personally, I’m not concerned by it.
Spot on I get it at +4.3 also after retrying it again, it does happen at +4 in my example - so Thanks soo much for confirming, no need to contact Nikon then.
With regards to Question 1 in A, S mode does the exposure stop showing WYSIWYG after +3, -3 ??

Once in the menu where you select "show effect of settings" there's not an arrow to the right but push the directional pad to the right and make sure you have "always" selected. By default it is not.
Yes done that, JaJohnson also answered Q2, can you try to see if exposure changes after +3 and below -3 show the changes on the LCD?

Back