Z9 single press change to autofocus type

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello,

I'm trying to work through the various strategies out there for moving from wide area large to 3D autofocus. I like using the back button for autofocus and have the shutter release button only control tripping the shutter. I had set up the function 1 button to be 3D autofocus but then noticed it only would stay as 3D as long as the button was pressed down. I guess I'm not coordinated enough to have all three buttons engaged simultaneously. Is there a way to make it so pressing Function 1 once (and not holding it down) will switch the AF system to 3D and then a second press would switch it back to the wide area large?

I appreciate the guidance.

Hi, Nikon doesn't allow a toggle option on almost all its Custom settings. I think only Recall Shooting Functions Hold will help in your case.
The easiest way I know is using AFMode+ AFOn setting on function buttons, which both engage focus AND in your preferred AF mode.

There's been fair coverage of RSF. Here's 2 threads

Recent thread on Z9 custom Setup

I believe you can set the Fn button to either hold the fn button while your turn the dial or press and release and then turn the dial. I think that is F6.

Also you can set a fn button to AF-area mode + AF-ON. But you need to keep the button pressed while shooting. I don't know how to make it a toggle except to set it to Recall function and hold

Last edited:
I believe you can set the Fn button to either hold the fn button while your turn the dial or press and release and then turn the dial. I think that is F6.

You can set a fn1 button to AF-area mode + AF-ON. But you need to keep the button pressed
Yes, the 'Release button to use Dial' control works best with scrolling ISO or Exposure Compensation, also switching AF modes on Red Record button (if not using the Cycle AF mode command).
But it's not much use for AF modes etc on Function buttons if one wants to avoid also having to turn a dial, using 2 different fingers.

Last edited:
In your case, continue using BBAF for Wide Area Large, but also set the shutter half press to 3D.
So in practice if you hold BBAF in while fully pressing Shutter release you will stay in Wide Area for the shot.
If you want to use 3D, release the BBAF and just focus with a half press and then shoot, your shot will be taken in 3D mode.
Hope this makes sense !!. This is how I have set my Z9 , seems to work O K.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm trying to work through the various strategies out there for moving from wide area large to 3D autofocus. I like using the back button for autofocus and have the shutter release button only control tripping the shutter. I had set up the function 1 button to be 3D autofocus but then noticed it only would stay as 3D as long as the button was pressed down. I guess I'm not coordinated enough to have all three buttons engaged simultaneously. Is there a way to make it so pressing Function 1 once (and not holding it down) will switch the AF system to 3D and then a second press would switch it back to the wide area large?

I appreciate the guidance.
As others have said above Nikon does not use "toggle" functions in any of the custom button settings. But if you program a Fn1 button to "AF area + AF-ON" with the AF area set to 3d you don't need to hold all three buttons down. If you press the Fn1 button 3d mode will activate w/out using the AF-ON button. Or if you're already focusing with the AF-ON and then press Fn1 it will "hand off" the focus point to 3d AF. You can then either release the AF-ON or continue to hold it doesn't matter as the Fn1 will over ride or function on it's own.

FWIW, you might want to just try using the three button approach. I'm about as uncoordinated as they come, and I can do it :) It's not as hard as it sounds, especially on Fn1 since you just need to press a finger down and keep it there.

Also, keep in mind that recall shooting functions will turn back off with some interactions - like exp comp, ISO changes, etc.

Steve, I just noticed that using the approach I mentioned when I press f1 and switch to 3d autofocus, the frame rate switches from 20 to 10fps. Pressing f1 a second time and switching back to wide area large, causes the frame rate to jump back to 20fps.

Any idea how I can keep the frame rate from switching?

Steve, I just noticed that using the approach I mentioned when I press f1 and switch to 3d autofocus, the frame rate switches from 20 to 10fps. Pressing f1 a second time and switching back to wide area large, causes the frame rate to jump back to 20fps.

Any idea how I can keep the frame rate from switching?
Are you using it with recall shooting?

Well, I think I found it down in the recall shooting options. But how it won't change the autofocus type. So clearly this is a complicated feature I need to work through all the various options.

If all you're doing is changing AF areas, don't use recall shooting - there's a dedicated menu option for it under the button selection called AF Area and another called AF Area + AF + On. That's all you need. It'll only change to the AF area, nothing else.

Back