Z9 Update Issue!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

markymark

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I've never had an issue before when downloading the updates for the Z9, but for some reason when I try & open the Nikon download it won't allow me to open it, instead it gives me a box saying;

Unable to expand "Z_9_0410.bin" it is in an unsupported format.

I've just got both the computer & camera out of storage & the camera is still on version C 4. 00.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks.

The file you download is no longer a ZIP file that you need to extract, it’s the BIN file you need to place on the root of the card.
it shows as the BIN file in my downloads folder, but when I double click on that BIN file that's when it tells me it's in an unsupported format.
I'm obviously doing something wrong, can you tell me how to get round it?
Thanks.

it shows as the BIN file in my downloads folder, but when I double click on that BIN file that's when it tells me it's in an unsupported format.
I'm obviously doing something wrong, can you tell me how to get round it?
Thanks.
You can‘t open the BIN file. You need to move/copy the BIN file from your downloads folder to the root of your CFexpress/XQD/SD card, then put the card in the camera and update the firmware.

It sounds like you have the .bin file in hand already, no extraction needed. But I will say, it sounds funky that you downloaded a bin file directly from Nikon...not normal. Did you get it from Nikon or another source?

It worked!!.... I'm now on C 4.10.

In the past I've opened the file which put it on my desktop then dragged it onto the memory card, but this time I just dragged it from my downloads folder straight onto the card.

Many thanks for your help lads, thank God for this forum!!..

It worked!!.... I'm now on C 4.10.

In the past I've opened the file which put it on my desktop then dragged it onto the memory card, but this time I just dragged it from my downloads folder straight onto the card.

Many thanks for your help lads, thank God for this forum!!..
No, you were never able to open the bin file. You opened a file that the bin file was in.

I did update my Z9s yesterday through Snapbridge and that was a first. Ever since the D70s till all previous updates on various cameras was done by copying the BIN file on a memory card. I to was wary on using SnapBridge as I am an iPhone user that those 2 companies did not play ball.
Glad to inform you that all went very smooth and will use the SnapBridge method from this moment onwards.

Back