Zebras for Z8?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi, just wonder why Nikon will not offer up an option for using Zebras in still photography on Z cameras, surely it cannot be that difficult, I bought a cheap on camera monitor 'Feelworld F5' not the newest version and that allows the use of Zebras on the Z8 via the monitor.
Russ.

I believe there is a profile adjustment that does give simulated zebras, at least for the z9. I'd imagine similar is possible for the z8.

There is a link to the profile in this thread.

Canon doesn't have them either. Only Sony as far as I know. It's not that big a deal to use test shots with blinkies, but if they had it I think I would use it. The difference with histograms is one doesn't know where in the scene the blown out area is. If could be some unimportant part on the periphery or if could be the subjects head. Of course not having them makes us better observers of the values in the scene, so pros and cons I guess.

I believe there is a profile adjustment that does give simulated zebras, at least for the z9. I'd imagine similar is possible for the z8.
It's a custom picture control and the person that made it, originally made it for his Z6 and Z7. It will work for all the Z cameras, at least up till the Z8 and have no reason to that it won't work for the ZFC/ZF/Z6III

There is a link to the profile in this thread.

Thanks for pointing to this thread. I added the picture control and it seems to work great!

Back