Zemlin Lens Cap...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I use the Zemlin lens caps on my 800mm pf and my 400mm TC. The quality is great and I much prefer Zemlin’s design to the Nikon cover for these lenses. I do not own the 600mm pf, but did own the 500mm pf and never had any issues with the Nikon lens cap.

I use the Zemlin lens caps on my 800mm pf and my 400mm TC. The quality is great and I much prefer Zemlin’s design to the Nikon cover for these lenses. I do not own the 600mm pf, but did own the 500mm pf and never had any issues with the Nikon lens cap.
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll go ahead and purchase the Zemlin , as I do not want to take any chances with an expensive lens. FYI - Below is a comment by Dan Carr who explains finding his lens cap had shifted towards the front element while transporting the lens : "In my extensive travels with 95mm-threaded lightweight telephoto Nikon Z-Mount lenses–Z 600mm f/6.3, Z 400mm f/4.5, and Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3–I have repeatedly arrived at my destination to find the original Nikon LC-95B lens cap pushed into the filter thread and towards the front lens element in an alarming way. I take good care of my gear when I travel, so these caps are being pushed towards the glass element with minimal force. The Nikon lens caps are poorly designed as an accessory for such an expensive lens."

Zemlin lens caps have been discussed in several threads. Here are just a few that came up in the search...

Anyone here use Zemlin lens caps? What's your opinion of them? I recently acquired the 600pf

I have a Z8 on which I use the Zemlin Eye cup - I think is very well made.
I also have the 600 F6.3 PF on which I use the original Nikon cap. I think it works quite well. If I owned the 600 TC or 800mm lenses that have cloth caps, I would seriously consider getting a Zemlin lens cap.
I am curious, why would you as new owner who has not yet lost his original lens cap, consider the Zemlin a better option?

I also have the 600 F6.3 PF on which I use the original Nikon cap. I think it works quite well. If I owned the 600 TC or 800mm lenses that have cloth caps, I would seriously consider getting a Zemlin lens cap.
I am curious, why would you as new owner who has not yet lost his original lens cap, consider the Zemlin a better option?
More of a precaution... See my post above with a comment by Dan Carr. I travel often and don't want to see the Nikon Cap recessed into my lens. Seems like an unsafe design.

I have never seen or experienced anything like it 10 years of travelling with Nikon Telephoto lenses. I would think this could be caused by something pushing on the lens while densely packed. This isn't normal
Agree it isn't normal, but Dan swears he is very careful with his gear and still experienced the issue. Personaly I have not seen this but i am new to Nikon, previously shooting Sony for the last 8 years. The 600pf is expensive enough that his comment got my attention. Either way, I'm ordering the Zemlin cap as it's unquestionably a superior design. Take care

I have both the 800PF and 600TC. The 800PF cap is not great and fumbling with the cord can take a few seconds and may cost you a shot.

The cap of the 600TC is much better, the material feels like leather. It's much faster to remove (no cords).

For the 800PF I have a cap from a German company. For the 600TC I'll probably order the Zemlin, it may make it a bit easier to put the lens in a backpack as it does not protrude.

The 600PF I use with the Nikon cap. So far it works.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll go ahead and purchase the Zemlin , as I do not want to take any chances with an expensive lens. FYI - Below is a comment by Dan Carr who explains finding his lens cap had shifted towards the front element while transporting the lens : "In my extensive travels with 95mm-threaded lightweight telephoto Nikon Z-Mount lenses–Z 600mm f/6.3, Z 400mm f/4.5, and Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3–I have repeatedly arrived at my destination to find the original Nikon LC-95B lens cap pushed into the filter thread and towards the front lens element in an alarming way. I take good care of my gear when I travel, so these caps are being pushed towards the glass element with minimal force. The Nikon lens caps are poorly designed as an accessory for such an expensive lens."
I never have had an issue with Nikon lens caps either, especially the ones in the more current generation of lenses. To clarify, I am not talking about the big soft “sock” or whatever you call it with the big Nikon exotic lenses. When I read your post about someone have lens caps “displaced‘ or whatever, I have to wonder what external force might have been pressing against the lens cap. The caps didn’t just “move“ on their own. I just feel like there’s something about his report that’s missing or that something was mishandled. Just sayin’.

Late Edit: I don’t own any Zemlin lens caps, but I am a huge fan of Zemlin lens hood.

Last edited:
I have both the 600PF f 6.3, as well as the 800PF f 6.3. I have never had an issue with the Nikon supplied lens cap for the 600PF. I don’t dispute Dan’s experience, but I have never experienced it. I did not at all care for the sock lens cover Nikon supplied for the 800PF and I purchased the Zemlin cover. Quality product and works well. I have purchased that lens cover, several hoods and eyepieces from Karl and have no complaints.

Back