Zion

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

NorthernFocus

Supporting Member
Marketplace
A couple of years ago we visited Zion NP on what was likely our last trip there. It's just getting too crowded and there are other places to go. So we hiked/waded the narrows which we hadn't done since our first visit there many years ago. My photography skills have improved a bit since then. I typically try to avoid having people in landscape shots but sometimes they're useful to give a sense of scale :)

1)
_8501907-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

2)
_8501916_N1_composite.jpg

3)
_8501945_N1_composite.jpg

4)
_8501963_N1.jpg

5)
_8501970-2.jpg

Wow, Dan, those are beautiful! I understand not wanting hoomans in your shot, but for these they work as you said, for scale. And I'm not sure if I should thank you or not, for adding Zion NP to my growing list of places I want to visit.

I thought you said you struggled with landscapes? DUH! These are excellent! Strong compositions and the human figure for scale makes them home runs!

Wow, Dan, those are beautiful! I understand not wanting hoomans in your shot, but for these they work as you said, for scale. And I'm not sure if I should thank you or not, for adding Zion NP to my growing list of places I want to visit.
Thanks for the comment. It should be on your list of places to see. It's a beautiful place.

I thought you said you struggled with landscapes? DUH! These are excellent! Strong compositions and the human figure for scale makes them home runs!
Struggling doesn't necessarily mean an inability to get there. In my case it just means it's more difficult. And often yields unpredictable results. But even a blind hog finds the trough sooner or later.

Amazing scapes, amazing photos Sir. 🥂
Glad you enjoyed them.

Fantastic shots NF , I love coming to read your threads as I know there`s usually going to be something different to the norm , Number 2 is the stand out shot for me ...

Harry.G

great shots. Really like the low angle of the first. And you are correct that people really helps to provide a sense of scale.

Zion in general and the Narrows in particular is a special place. We were there in 2018…and my suggestion is to be at the park to catch the first shuttle bus in the morning, Go as far out as you’re going that day, do your thing, and gradually head back to the entrance…and leave the park for the day by about noon. There are other places in the area, the road up the west side of the park in particular that you can do in the afternoon. Still crowded of course…but not nearly as bad. And..really excellent shots, the low to the water and use the LCD makes that a lot easier than back in the SLR days.

Excellent series. Beautiful color, rushing water, light and all. With the guy in the scene, there is a real sense of scale. I have not been there since we lived in Utah (tooele Army Depot from 1978-80 so it looks like time for a revisit, because any photos I may still have will all be on film from the Minolta SRT SCII.

Beautiful. I visited it last year and there are lots of people. Hard to find a moment that nobody in the view finder.
Thanks for commenting. Yeah it's gotten to be a popular place.

Zion in general and the Narrows in particular is a special place....the low to the water and use the LCD makes that a lot easier than back in the SLR days.
It is beautiful. Years ago we hiked to the Subway. It was spring and there was a lot of water. I've always wanted to go back in the fall but never made it.

Excellent series. Beautiful color, rushing water, light and all. With the guy in the scene, there is a real sense of scale. I have not been there since we lived in Utah (tooele Army Depot from 1978-80 so it looks like time for a revisit, because any photos I may still have will all be on film from the Minolta SRT SCII.
Thanks for the comment. It's definitely worth a visit.

Very nice Dan! We were there over 15 years ago. The water got too deep for us after a short walk but fun nonetheless and awesome scenery!
Thanks, John. I was surprised that I was able to stay in the river as long as we did. My extremities tend to suffer when it's cold. We rented the neoprene socks and boots which apparently were worth the cost.

Back