Zoom Err on SB700.........never seen that before

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi Guys
Bought myself a 27-70 2.8E and finally completed the "holy trilogy "
During testing was using an SB700 and a D4s, and going to pixel peep shooting wife's embroidery as test patten
Squeesed one off..........was a couple of stops under,
entered exposure comp.......perfect
except,
at 5-8 ft, even with a SB700, should be enough power to literally burn a hole through the quilt ?
Looking at the SB 700 LCD screen to check if there was an exposure comp sitting in there, all good!
Then I noticed Zoom Err at the bottom left of the LCD

Removed the SB 700, put the SB 700 back on, now the zoom is working again with accurate exposures once again?????????

The bad thing is, I dont know what caused the fault..............any Ideas?
I was sort of guessing a bad connection dirt/dust?

Sort of thing you daunt want to happen when one of these guys jump into your tent late at night........:)
...........Gary
Green Tree Frog-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Green Tree Frog.jpg

FWIW this the only reference in the manual
Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 9.11.54 pm.png

Last edited:
As long as it doesn't happen again, I wouldn't give ti another thought. I've had minor glitches like that in flashes, lenses, TCs, you name it. Heck, I've had bodies completely lock up where I had to pull the battery and then never had another issue. As you say, it may have just been a poor connection.

Thank you Steve,
That is reassuring, has not happened since, touch wood,
Not sure the new flat pack desk wood? :)
Thaneply
new desk.jpg

Back