20240118 update ==> Sony A9 III : now IN STOCK in France

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

PhD69

Supporting Member
Marketplace
The SONY A9 III should be available in the coming weeks :D

Let's gather recent (and serious) information about this new camera body.
Don't hesitate to reply to this thread to add interesting points ;)

1. INITIAL POST : SONY has already posted interesting information about the A9 III, particularly about its use with flashes. It's here.
  2. NEW 20240105 : On his Patreon profile, Mark Galer has published really interesting feedbacks/analysis.
    You have to subscribe to Premium or Premium + services to get access to Mark's Patreon posting, here.
    1. Sony A9III Raw files (DNG format)
    2. A9III CAMSET Firmware 1.00
    3. A9III eBook
    4. A9III Preview Patreon Seminar
  3. NEW 20240105 : DPReview has just published Sony a9 III: Global shutter comes with an image quality cost
  4. NEW 20240106 : Sony A9 III User Manual & Online Help Guide
  5. NEW 20240118 : As I write this comment, at least 3 stores have the A9 III in stock in France.

Last edited:
😄 I posted the DP Review link a couple of days ago as I could not find a thread for the A9iii. When I saw your one I just copied my post into this thread without reading your post thoroughly, sorry!
No worries, the important thing is to not miss anything important :D

I was thinking about this camera when it was launched, but the truth is losing a stop of high ISO performance is too far a step backward IMO. I think I'll hold off for now and wait for that a1 mk2 :)
Yes, but you have to buy a large money box right away. If the A1 MK2 comes with a 50 Mpix global shutter, it will cost more than 10K€ ;)

Honestly, I'm thinking it won't have a global shutter - I think it's more general purpose than that. Time will tell I suppose. :)
I see an a1mkii staying the same in MP and sensor. I bet we get a little faster say maybe 40fps in compressed raw, pre capture, focus stacking and the new af modes and menus. Maybe we get a little more buffer and the tilty screen but that will likely be it.

I see an a1mkii staying the same in MP and sensor. I bet we get a little faster say maybe 40fps in compressed raw, pre capture, focus stacking and the new af modes and menus. Maybe we get a little more buffer and the tilty screen but that will likely be it.
I agree - and I imagine some additional "surprise" firmware updates that we have not thought about as well.

Comparing dpreview 'scene' A9III vs A1 or Z9 at similar iso - A9III looks like it's almost not sharp & mushy. Looks like it's going to be a camera for some very specific applications.

I was thinking about this camera when it was launched, but the truth is losing a stop of high ISO performance is too far a step backward IMO. I think I'll hold off for now and wait for that a1 mk2 :)
I haven't canceled my preorder yet but have been thinking about it. If the new a1 builds on what we have it could be the better use of money. I have a couple more weeks to decide but for me the 640-2000 ish iso is my sweet spot most of the time.

I haven't canceled my preorder yet but have been thinking about it. If the new a1 builds on what we have it could be the better use of money. I have a couple more weeks to decide but for me the 640-2000 ish iso is my sweet spot most of the time.
My problem is that I just don't think this camera really matches my audience well enough. Anytime I purchase new gear, it has to pay for itself and I don't thinker's worth the effort to make a book on it and it would take about 20 years for a YT review on it to make enough to break even LOL!

My problem is that I just don't think this camera really matches my audience well enough. Anytime I purchase new gear, it has to pay for itself and I don't thinker's worth the effort to make a book on it and it would take about 20 years for a YT review on it to make enough to break even LOL!
LOL all problems I don't have :). Are you going forward with the 300?

Quite honestly this camera is a big disappointment for me as a bird photographer. I really wanted it as a back up to my a1 but the 24 MP sensor and what now looks like pretty mediocre to perhaps even poor ISO performance will have me wait for the a1 II as well. Steve--you can consider me as part of your audience that this camera won't match well enough for.

Still undecided. I like the idea of it, I just don't use that focal length too much and have a 400 2.8 already (that I don't use much LOL).
I’m in the same boat. I gave it a little thought this morning after my response and canceled my pre order. I think I’ll hold out for a new a1 to add to the fleet. The global shutter isn’t a draw for me anyway.

Yes Focus Stacking and Pre Capture would be nice but I have to say that over the last 50 (!) years the Sony A1 has been my most favorite camera. Right now I'm shooting with an A9ii and A1 and I hope a lot of folks buy the A9iii and a few trade in their A1 cameras. Because, I would certainly pick up another (used) A1 body. Would an A1 mii tempt me....of course!

Back