300 PF+TC-14eiii as light weight replacement to 200-500 @420mm

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ado Wolf

I love my 200-500 as well as my 300 PF and will be using both with my future D850 (not delivered yet). Considering the D850 is heavier than my current D7500, I am trying to find ways to cut down the weight of my gear (for longer hikes). So my thought was to keep my 200-500 for shorter hikes and take the 300 PF+TC14 for longer hikes (as 300 mm doesn't cut it for perched birds).

How does the IQ of the 300 PF+TC14 compare to that of the 200-500 @420 mm?

I know the 500 PF would be the best option, but considering I put all my savings into the new D850, I have to wait till I can make another big investment.

Thanks and wish you all a good start this week.

PS. I have watched Steve's video on TC (multiple times) and read the TC reviews here on this forum (was a great help). I just want to know if it's better to manage the weight of the 200-500 or if the TC is really worth the weight-reduction.

The 300 PF behaves pretty well with the 1.4x TC. At least mine does. I also have the 200-500 and I'd dare anyone to pick out IQ difference in the two under the same conditions. I tend to avoid using TCs whenever possible but don't hesitate to shoot that combo. I used to carry it on a DX body as a light weight kit for kayaking. Now I have the 500 PF so use that instead.

If you subscribe to the "more reach" theory of shooting with cropped sensors, consider this. The D850 has 1.2x and 1.5x(i.e.DX) crop modes. Its like having digital zoom. So at 420mm you have options of effective focal length of 630, 504, or 420mm. Remove the TC and you've got 450, 360, or 300mm. I love that camera.

If I chose the right lenses, the 300 plus 1.4 seems to be a little better to my eye on these controlled test shots. They don't have both on d850 unfortunately.

I use my 300 PF/1.4x a lot more than my 200-500. I think it is equally sharp, and so much lighter and smaller. I generally keep it in my bag all the time, which I wouldn't do with the 200-500.

I have horrible back problems, so last fall I tried the 300mm PF + 1.4 TC out as a replacement for the larger, heavier 200-500mm. I don't have many complaints about the image quality of the combo, and it is much lighter and easier to carry around, but honestly, the reduction in reach does sting a bit. (I more or less used the 200-500mm as if it were a 500mm prime, so going to 420mm kinda hurt.) I ultimately got the 500mm PF to replace the 200-500mm for almost all wildlife photography.

That said, I also kept the 300mm PF and 1.4TC too. They are good for occasional wildlife, shooting our dogs, sheep, and chickens outdoors, and it's nice to be able to go to f4 if you need it.

I added the D850 to my kit last year replacing a D7100 [very happy] and this will complement your D7500 really well offering options from landscape to wildlife. At this point I have so much more to learn to gain the benefit of this body and agree [as above[ the option to use the crop factor rather than a TC's may the way to go

I too have both lenses and I routinely use the 1.4TC III on the 300mm PF. Of course, the 300mm PF is featherweight compared to the 200-500, notwithstanding the different focal lengths and makes a much better hiking partner. I have strong confidence in the IQ of both but the 300 is very good and I like it more and more all the time...and I've had it for three years. What I'm tending to do at the moment is using the 300mm PF with and without the TC on my D6, handheld with a Black Rapid shoulder strap while I have my long glass on the D850, tripod mounted. I am frequently using both together but the D6/300 combo is for those quick action shots, BIF, and typically in low light. As often said, I always prefer to shoot without the TC but never hesitate to use it when necessary.

@NorthernFocus @DRwyoming thank you both for the feedback. The general consensus is that the TC14 is good. Apparently there is sample variation in Quality (to keep in mind). The 500 PF is on my wish-list.

@bleirer thank you for the link. Quite interesting.

@splatbass thank you, this is exactly why I am considering the TC (weight reduction)

@brachypelma44 absolutely, I too use the 200-500 @ 500 mm for 95% of the time, and even then sometimes is to short so "the reduction in reach does sting a bit".

@Nobby thanks, I really hope I can get away with cropping.. if not I will consider getting a used TC

@Marcus Slade thanks, so far the 300 PF has been my hiking buddy (the zoom is simply torture). I guess it is better to have a TC and not use it, than to need one and not have it.

Ado
In response to your question "How does the IQ of the 300 PF+TC14 compare to that of the 200-500 @420 mm?":

I had been shooting the 200-500 on a D850 for around 9 months while my wife was shooting the 300PF + TC14 iii on her D7500. The sensor in the D7500 is the same as in a D500 and the pixel density is similar to (though not exactly the same as) the D850 sensor. We were often shooting the same subjects. Her images were routinely noticeably sharper, and the clarity/contrast was slightly better. Yes, she was shooting on a DX sensor while I was shooting on an FX, but even evaluating IQ in dead center of the frame the difference was usually noticeable.

This is not to say that the 200-500 on the D850 did not yield good results, it often will and I have many shots with which I am very pleased. I think part (but not all) of the issue is using the 200-500 in FX mode, because lens acuity declines away from the central part of the image. I purchased a 500PF and that brought my resulting image quality/acuity on par with hers (but she still seems to have a knack for shooting from the better angle at the better moment, damn it!).

The D850, in my experience, is very revealing of lens quality (and shooting technique), particularly when shooting in full frame FX mode. My opinion of the 200-500 is that it is a fantastic value, but its IQ is not up to the level of a 300PF, or a 300PF + TC14 (or a 500PF). It may be better suited to use on a DX body such as a D500 or D7500 (or in a cropped mode on an FX body) so the softer edges are simply not in the frame when shooting. For this reason, rather than sell my copy I picked up a used D500 so when we are out we have 3 set-ups ready to shoot. We will continue to use the 200-500 on one of our DX bodies.

Regarding your observation about the weight of the D850 vs the D7500, whenever we would go out for extended periods (several hours) I was finding the D850 + the 200-500 to become difficult (tiring) to handle. I ended up putting the rig on a monopod + the Wimberley MonoGimbal (reference Steve's videos on this). That helped considerably. I have not found a need to use the monopod when I shoot the D850 + the 500PF, and I sometimes even add a TC14 to the set-up. In addition, my wife has been using our D500 with the 300PF + TC14 without any problem. I therefore feel you will find no issues managing the D850 + the 300PF + TC14.

Kindest regards,
Dave

Ado
In response to your question "How does the IQ of the 300 PF+TC14 compare to that of the 200-500 @420 mm?":

I had been shooting the 200-500 on a D850 for around 9 months while my wife was shooting the 300PF + TC14 iii on her D7500. The sensor in the D7500 is the same as in a D500 and the pixel density is similar to (though not exactly the same as) the D850 sensor. We were often shooting the same subjects. Her images were routinely noticeably sharper, and the clarity/contrast was slightly better. Yes, she was shooting on a DX sensor while I was shooting on an FX, but even evaluating IQ in dead center of the frame the difference was usually noticeable.

This is not to say that the 200-500 on the D850 did not yield good results, it often will and I have many shots with which I am very pleased. I think part (but not all) of the issue is using the 200-500 in FX mode, because lens acuity declines away from the central part of the image. I purchased a 500PF and that brought my resulting image quality/acuity on par with hers (but she still seems to have a knack for shooting from the better angle at the better moment, damn it!).

The D850, in my experience, is very revealing of lens quality (and shooting technique), particularly when shooting in full frame FX mode. My opinion of the 200-500 is that it is a fantastic value, but its IQ is not up to the level of a 300PF, or a 300PF + TC14 (or a 500PF). It may be better suited to use on a DX body such as a D500 or D7500 (or in a cropped mode on an FX body) so the softer edges are simply not in the frame when shooting. For this reason, rather than sell my copy I picked up a used D500 so when we are out we have 3 set-ups ready to shoot. We will continue to use the 200-500 on one of our DX bodies.

Regarding your observation about the weight of the D850 vs the D7500, whenever we would go out for extended periods (several hours) I was finding the D850 + the 200-500 to become difficult (tiring) to handle. I ended up putting the rig on a monopod + the Wimberley MonoGimbal (reference Steve's videos on this). That helped considerably. I have not found a need to use the monopod when I shoot the D850 + the 500PF, and I sometimes even add a TC14 to the set-up. In addition, my wife has been using our D500 with the 300PF + TC14 without any problem. I therefore feel you will find no issues managing the D850 + the 300PF + TC14.

Kindest regards,
Dave

I agree with all of this, having used the 200-500 and the 300 PF/1.4 III on my D850, but wanted to add that the edge softness of the 200-500 on FX doesn't matter as much on many wildlife pics because those areas are generally out of focus anyway if you use a wide aperture.

@DaveA thank you for the detailed feedback. I now have a much better idea thanks to the experience you shared. I too will not sell my 200-500 and will continue using it on my D7500.. until I get my hands on the 500 PF. Till then I will get the TC14iii to use it with my 300 PF on my new D850.

@splatbass I agree, for wildlife edge to edge sharpness is not as important as it is with landscape photography.

I also had the 200-500 lens for about 10 months when I sold it on Ebay and bought a 300 PF and a 1.4 TC. Weight was just to much. I've used that combo for about a year now and about 3 weeks ago I bought a 2.0 TC just to try it out. I was stunned by the IQ with this combo. Many more of my images were tack sharp. I'm sure it has something to do with the F8 minimum aperture setting that is inherent in this combo. But in good light, it works. I'm shooting with a Z6vI so I'm able to use all of the focus points provided and don't notice any drop off in AF performance. But, with the limited focus points provided by the D850 this may not be a good combination for AF performance. However the D850 offers you other benefits over the Z6. For the last two weeks I've been in S. Texas shooting birds. The guy next to me was shooting a D850 and I was stunned with all the BIF photos he could get that I wouldn't even try with the Z6.

I always shoot with two hands, so that’s not an issue for me. My problem is, I always carry the camera with my hand and walk miles at a time, since I have no idea at which moment a deer might jump in front of me. Putting the camera in my backpack is not an option (as I would miss 85% of the photos I make). Hence I need something lighter but without sacrificing IQ.

@Ziggy funny you say that, I had that same idea a few weeks back and have been since heavily researching both the Cotton Carrier Skout and Harness..
I am not sure the Skout handles the weight of the D850 + 200-500 Zoom..?
I was planning to start a thread and ask if anyone has experience with those 2 models..

@Ziggy funny you say that, I had that same idea a few weeks back and have been since heavily researching both the Cotton Carrier Skout and Harness..
I was planning to start a thread and ask if anyone has experience with those 2 models..

I have the D850, 200-500 and Skout, but haven't tried them together. I only use the Skout for smaller lenses when I have to scramble over rocks or such. But when I get home tonight I give it a try.

I used the D500 and 200-500 extensively with the Skout and it worked a treat.

Sometimes I use it for short spells with my 4.3 kg Sony rig but the harness is more comfortable with that.

Back