400mm 2.8 with Squeaky Auto-focus Motor

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

You love the lens why not get another one.

I still have my 300 2.8 VR II for the same reason, I did replace the motor.

The 400 F2.8 is just so amazing, the used market is very favorable at the moment for the buyers.

There are some really good high end lenses out there for very little money, you just need to be happy with the weight.

Doing games or sports events weight for me is no issue.

The real benefit for me is being able to shoot at night or low light with little ISO needed as well as F2.8 which has mind blowing IQ, i shoot everything on my 300 2.8 VR II at F2.8 90% of the time or F4, most other shooters go home LOL.

Many of my pro sports shooter mates using the Z9 Z8 are more than happy using their 600 F4 FL, they feel the new 600 F TC is excellent but for the money the FL does more than fine.

The other thing is the high end DSLR primes are that good IQ wise its almost indistinguishable at times to tell if using a Z9 Z8 D6 D850 DF D4S D3X................you need to look at the exif data to see what camera was used LOL.

Only an opinion
I do plan to replace it, there is just not one at KEH where I bought this one. I am looking at options now and will also consider the 300 2.8. I just don't like the idea of having a lens that parts are discontinued for. I want to at least get one that I can get serviced if necessary. We are leaving Wednesday for a couple of weeks, hitting a couple of wildlife refuges and coastal areas. I have my 600mm f/2.8 and 200-500 f/5.6 for this trip. Thanks for the input!!

I didn't read through all the posts so maybe its been covered. I had a 400 f2.8 purchased around 2007 I think it was the first version with VR. It always had a "noisy" VR, but during my ownership ( 15 years?) it developed a squeak during focus. I did send it in for repair I was told that the cause was corrosion. I have no idea what the cost of repair was.

Definitely thank you for the advice!! I shot two night football games this week and the image quality is so good that it makes it hard to give up, but common sense says to return it. I saved all the packaging that it came in and already have the return authorization. Heading back to them Monday.
Good to hear it .. 🦘

Back