500 f5.6 or 400 f4.5?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

500 f5.6 or 400 f4.5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flashpixx

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Which one of these is currently the preferred lens on a Z9 or Z8 please?

Have the Z 1.4TC to use on the 400 f4.5.

Main uses will be sports and wildlife

I have the 500pf and to me, the reasons for getting the 400 are

1) The pf lens struggles with background specular highlight such as sunlight on waves or wet grass or bushes. By "struggles", I mean it has ugly bokeh.
2) 400 is a Z lens so it has buttons and a control ring not found on f mount lenses and uses Z teleconverters which are a bit better than f mount ones too.
3) 400 is a little lighter.
4) 400 has a little larger max aperture.
5) 400 doesn't require an FTZ adapter.
6) The only reason to use a 500pf is that you already have one. I would never buy the 500pf to use on a Z camera unless there was a big price difference.

The 500mm PF is a very good lens and is available used for around $1800-2400. For occasional use or someone looking for a good deal, it's a bargain. I agree with the advantages of the 400mm f/4.5 Charlie described above, but if budget is a consideration the optical performance of the 500mm PF makes it tough to pass up. I think it comes down to your time horizon and budget.

Back