600mm f/4 lens question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

"E" vs "G".
"E" is much, much lighter then "G", better VR (about 1-1.5EV), noticeably faster AF and electromagnetic diaphragm (its importand with a hi-speed shooting on newest MILC, when You need F-stops above F5.6).
Optically Version "E" is noticeably better at F4, at F5.6 "G" and "E" are practically the same.
However, "G" version optically is very, very good.
If You use handheld - definitelly "E" version. On tripod - "E" and "G" will be good choice.

I did not use version "D".

Weight was the biggest driver that moved me from the G version to my current E version. Optically I haven't noticed much difference but the E version is much easier to handhold than the G version. Granted, I'm still not holding the E on subject for long periods of time due to the weight, but I can manage it in short time periods (say 5-10min). Good luck with your search. I traded my G version before the Z 600 announcements so it looks like the used prices have come down quite a bit. I'd also do so research on motors before purchase....as noted above, some of these are getting a bit older and if you have a focus motor go out, I'd want to know the likelihood of finding a replacement, before I purchased one. Good luck with the hunt!

As much as I would like to get an E model funds limit me to either a G or D. My question is what, if any, is the difference between them. Thanks.
Besides the weight the VR is improved with each new generation of lens. Nikon does not provide information on the VR module the way they do with the generation of EXPEED processor in cameras which muddies things a bit. I would expect VR performance to be better with the G lens. It will also be more likely that you can get a newer lens repaired with Nikon having the parts in stock.

I had the E lens and within 18 months the AF module failed and it cost me more than $600 to have it repaired and it was 4 months for Nikon USA to get the part. That they ran out of these parts leads me to believe that this part has a relatively high failure rate. I had the same component fail on a 70-200mm f/2.8E lens as well in less than 24 months and so I had to pay out of pocket to have the defective component replaced. I spent $1,000 to have these two lightly used lenses repaired in order to sell them.

Besides the weight the VR is improved with each new generation of lens. Nikon does not provide information on the VR module the way they do with the generation of EXPEED processor in cameras which muddies things a bit. I would expect VR performance to be better with the G lens. It will also be more likely that you can get a newer lens repaired with Nikon having the parts in stock.

I had the E lens and within 18 months the AF module failed and it cost me more than $600 to have it repaired and it was 4 months for Nikon USA to get the part. That they ran out of these parts leads me to believe that this part has a relatively high failure rate. I had the same component fail on a 70-200mm f/2.8E lens as well in less than 24 months and so I had to pay out of pocket to have the defective component replaced. I spent $1,000 to have these two lightly used lenses repaired in order to sell them.

Here I was thinking of selling my G lens and picking up a used E, mostly to cut a little weight. @Calson, this sounds like maybe not a good idea?

I only have my experience with two E type lenses so not necessarily indicative of reliability but it does call into question if these are truly "pro grade" as it appears that they are not in every respect. Nikon reduced the lens warranty period in the USA from 5 years to only 1 year which indicates their own experiences and costs to repair failed lenses.

I was not happy to spend a thousand dollars on Nikon lens repairs but at least they failed when I was at home and did not jeopardize an expensive field trip.

Cautionary true story: In 2022 my 14 month old 600mm f4 E lens needed a new focusing motor. It took Nikon 4 months to finally get the part in. (Yes, same story as Calson in Post #11 above).

I would be very, very concerned about putting much money into a D or G or even E version of the 600mm f4. Perhaps consider a 500 PF which are a particularly low priced right now.

When I owned both a 600mm f/4 lens and a 500mm PF lens, I used the 500mm PF (100% hand held) far more often than the 600mm lens. The 500mm was great on land and also great on the water when shooting from a small boat. The 500mm PF also works well with the FTZ adapter on a Z camera in the future.

I've had both my 500E and 600E afs motors replaced. The first time for the 500E was just under 4 years. That was 2.5 years ago and it needs another focus motor. Wait time was ok, maybe 3-4 weeks. First time was under warranty, this next time will be out of pocket. My 600E needed a focus motor at just over 5 years. That was last summer and the repair time was about 3 weeks. UPS drop-kicked the box on it's return trip so it took another 4 weeks to get it looked at/repaired 2 of which was arguing with Nikon (they wanted to determine if they or UPS would pay. I said I didn't care as long as it wasn't me. Fix it now, argue about who picks up the bill later). I'm not sure why, but these large lenses seem to need $1000 repairs every couple of years, whether you use them a lot or not.

I've had both my 500E and 600E afs motors replaced. The first time for the 500E was just under 4 years. That was 2.5 years ago and it needs another focus motor. Wait time was ok, maybe 3-4 weeks. First time was under warranty, this next time will be out of pocket. My 600E needed a focus motor at just over 5 years. That was last summer and the repair time was about 3 weeks. UPS drop-kicked the box on it's return trip so it took another 4 weeks to get it looked at/repaired 2 of which was arguing with Nikon (they wanted to determine if they or UPS would pay. I said I didn't care as long as it wasn't me. Fix it now, argue about who picks up the bill later). I'm not sure why, but these large lenses seem to need $1000 repairs every couple of years, whether you use them a lot or not.
Interesting information.
What about 400E?
I have not heard of anyone having focus motor problem.

I would expect the motors used to be much the same in the E generation of lenses. Older lenses were far more reliable and that was when the Nikon warranty for lenses bought in the USA had a 5-year warranty. When it comes to MTBF stats the information is never released to customers by manufacturers so the buyers are in the dark. In the past when a camera or lens had an obvious manufacturing defect it was repaired even outside the warranty period by Nikon. Those days are long gone.

With refurbished (repaired) lenses having only a 90-day warranty period they do not seem like a good value for anyone but Nikon who is able to skirt the consumer protection laws regarding resell of used equipment.

Interesting information.
What about 400E?
I have not heard of anyone having focus motor problem.
I never had a 400e so I can't say. For the record, both my 500E and 600E were purchased when Nikon USA had the 5 year warranty. It worked for the 500E the first time but won't work this time. My 600E failed a couple of months past the 5 year point, it was giving me trouble before that, bad on me for not pursuing it before the 5 years was up. The amount of use doesn't seem to matter, my 600E was used all the time, the 500E only sees seasonal use and sits a lot. The 600E has sat more since I got the 800PF.

Thanks folks, now I don't know what to do. I really would like to get a 600mm but not the headaches.
One issue I would be aware of is the MFD. At one point the MFD for the 600 was 20 ft. Then it dropped to 14 ft. A 20 ft MFD can be an issue with small subjects. There may have been a model with 16 ft MFD.

Cautionary true story: In 2022 my 14 month old 600mm f4 E lens needed a new focusing motor. It took Nikon 4 months to finally get the part in. (Yes, same story as Calson in Post #11 above).

I would be very, very concerned about putting much money into a D or G or even E version of the 600mm f4. Perhaps consider a 500 PF which are a particularly low priced right now.
Mine needed a focus motor 5 years in (Dec 2022) and it was done in two weeks. and I do not have a pro account... Nikon just have had some supply issues back then

My 600 / 4 is a D (second version, marked D II). It was the last version before the VR models were released.
I have had good luck with it, and while is lighter than the version before it, it is pretty heavy. I use a gimbal.
I have had no problems, but the MFD is long, probably one of the versions that is nearly 20 feet.
Best of luck.

Thanks folks, now I don't know what to do. I really would like to get a 600mm but not the headaches.

If it makes you feel better, this thread has me rethinking selling my G version to get an E. My G is heavy, no way I'll hand hold it and hope for sharp photos. But seems to be a lot of talk of AF motors failing on the E version. Sure, parts for the older lenses are probably getting hard to find, but if I were you I think I'd look for a G version. They're also coming down in price on the used market. And mine is razor sharp.

Back