600mm f/4 lens question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I had a Nikon 600mm f/4E and had to send it to Nikon for repair of focus problems three times during the five years that I owned it. The first time they were unable to diagnose the problem, so returned it to me without a repair. The second and third times they replaced the focus motor. The warranty had expired by the third time, so that repair cost me about $600, after which I sold it. I have been interested to hear in this thread and others that my experience was not unusual. It was an excellent lens when it worked, but I didn't feel that it was reliable.

I did hand hold my 600 f/4E but compared to my Z800 pf it was a logistical nightmare. I bought mine as a refurb from nikon. I only had it for about 18 months.

My 500 PF a very nice lens and logistically a lot better but 500 always not enough focal length for my bird ID photography addiction :)

As others have mentioned if your staying in the DSLR world for a while I would give serious thought to the 500 pf over the 600 G or D if you can deal with 100mm less reach and loss of a stop of light. It is a logistical dream compared to even the 600 f/4E.

5-1-22 my 800 PF met my Z9 and the last of my DSLR's and my f mount lenses were sold by the middle of May. I got out before used prices dropped a bunch so that paid for my move to Z.

Good luck on your journey.

I'm fortunate to have the 600G in addition to the 800pf and 500pf shot on Z9s'.......they all have their strengths. I'd buy a G lens knowing it will show well shot from a sturdy tripod/gimbal set up with either dslr or mirrorless. It's a great time to buy the "older" exotics remembering it wasn't that long ago this lens used was $6000 and up. It's not like it's a piece of junk optically. Get it, shoot it, enjoy the images until it's time for your next gear decision and see where it fits in at that point. I think Ken Miracle's advice is dead on by the way. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back