70-200mm (ish) lens recommendations

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi folks.

The only lens I have is my 500pf and I'm looking for something with a more general purpose focal length, to pair with my Z8. So, far, I've narrowed it down to the following:

1. Nikon Z 70-180 2.8
2. Used Nikon AF-S 70-200 2.8 (with the FTZII I already have), but I'm not sure which version to go for.

The Z 70-200 2.8 is way out of my price range.

I want F2.8 primarily for pet photography.

Any suggestions regarding the above or alternatives?

Do you have something to capture the wider angles? I would consider a 24-120 as an option. I’ve been tempted to get the 70-180 for my occasional use but the other just does so well and is good enough for isolation for portraits.

Do you have something to capture the wider angles? I would consider a 24-120 as an option. I’ve been tempted to get the 70-180 for my occasional use but the other just does so well and is good enough for isolation for portraits.
I have the 24-70 f4S but I'll probably sell it to pay for the 70-180 (or whatever) as I think the longer lens would suit me better.

Hi folks.

The only lens I have is my 500pf and I'm looking for something with a more general purpose focal length, to pair with my Z8. So, far, I've narrowed it down to the following:

1. Nikon Z 70-180 2.8
2. Used Nikon AF-S 70-200 2.8 (with the FTZII I already have), but I'm not sure which version to go for.

The Z 70-200 2.8 is way out of my price range.

I want F2.8 primarily for pet photography.

Any suggestions regarding the above or alternatives?
My guess is, the AF-S 70-200 2.8 will give you the best images. That would be my pick. I am actually "buying back" some AF-S lenses that might not as fast-focusing but render much nicer images.

i’d say the 70-180 should be fine. i would prefer native z mount so if this works i’d stop here.

the nikon 70-200 2.8e/fl (f-mount w adapter) would also be outstanding

i think both the nikon 70-200 vrii and the tamron g2/sp would both be fine

i probably would stick with that list for the most part if i could swing it

I would get the Z mount Nikon 70-180mm f2.8 or the Z mount Nikon 85mm f1.8 prime lens.

If you have the FTZii adapter, you could buy a used F mount Nikon 70-200mm f4 lens or a used Nikon F mount 85mm f1.8. I have used both of these lenses for pet photography on my Nikon DSLRs. I rarely used my 70-200mm f2.8 for pet photography as it was too heavy for moving pets. The smaller and lighter 70-200mm f4 was much easier to use. And given that I was usually pretty close to the pets, there was no real advantage of f2.8 vs f4.

If your budget can support it, get a Z mount lens.

I have an excellent copy of the 70-200 f2.8E FL, which pairs well with a TC14 III on DSLRs and Z9. It is one of Nikon's best zooms they've ever made IME.

And I bought the 70-180 f2.8 mainly for close ups and a hiking lens because it's so light and compact. The image quality is not quite as excellent wide open as the two latest 70-200 f2.8 Nikkors, but these differences are of no practicable relevance for my needs.

Back