Z 70-180 : Verdict

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am sure it performs well. However, there is one thing I find bizarre about this new trio of Z f2.8 Tamron design based lenses (17-28, 28-75, 70-180). None of them have an AF/MF switch on the lens barrel. Considering how often I use that switch, that makes these lenses an instant deal breaker for me. I never imagined someone would make an autofocus lens without an AF/MF switch on the lens. Does anyone else find this strange?

I am sure it performs well. However, there is one thing I find bizarre about this new trio of Z f2.8 Tamron design based lenses (17-28, 28-75, 70-180). None of them have an AF/MF switch on the lens barrel. Considering how often I use that switch, that makes these lenses an instant deal breaker for me. I never imagined someone would make an autofocus lens without an AF/MF switch on the lens. Does anyone else find this strange?
Maybe the thinking is to assign the AF/MF internal to Z cameras option to i menu or button.

"But hey, look at that price..."

I'm a lens elitist, wouldn't even consider it.

I know Tamron makes a 70-180 for Sony E-mount that has the same optics (19 elements in 14 groups including 6 special dispersion elements and 3 aspherical elements). But Tamron does not work with TC like the Nikon.

So, Tamron decides to redefine the trinity with a more affordable trio going from 17mm to 180mm instead of the traditional 14mm to 200mm f/2.8. Interesting that the Nikon Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 continues the progression with no gaps. Those 4 lenses cover the entire focal length most photographers will ever need and the IQ is more than adequate. Personally, I'll stay with the traditional trinity.

So, Tamron decides to redefine the trinity with a more affordable trio going from 17mm to 180mm instead of the traditional 14mm to 200mm f/2.8. Interesting that the Nikon Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 continues the progression with no gaps. Those 4 lenses cover the entire focal length most photographers will ever need and the IQ is more than adequate. Personally, I'll stay with the traditional trinity.
I agree with your conclusion.

Tamron, whose largest/controlling shareholder is Sony makes both adapted and private-labeled lenses and is the largest lens company in the world. Their agreement with Sony is that they would not sell clones, because most likely the Sony G lenses are manufactured by Tamron. I think they have a similar agreement with Nikon and a non-compete on the S lenses.

If you study Sony's rapid ascension in still photography you'd credit Tamron (and Minolta and Aptina) for a big contribution.

* yes, there is also a large institutional investor with +/- 2% from Sony but they don't play an operational role.

And you can with the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8.There's no attempt to redefine the trinity, in my opinion. The 70-180 f/4 is just a lighter, less expensive option that has an obvious place in the market. Just like the old f-mount Nikon 70-200mm f/4. Many will want the faster f/2.8, but there is a big part of the market that will appreciate this little 70-180, I suspect. It's a win for Tamron
, they don't have to try to compete with th 70-200 f/2.8, but offer an alternative, instead. Just my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:
The 70-180mm is less than half the price of the 70-200mm lens and 3 inches shorter and 1.24 lb lighter. I can see replacing my 70-200mm with a 70-180mm for my landscape photography kit where the small size and lighter weight would be of value to me. I have a bag with the 19mm PC-E, 45mm PC-E, 85mm PC-E, 14-24mm f/2.8, and the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens and the FTZ adapter and cases with filters.

I am especially attracted to the new lens with its close focus distance of only 10.6 inches. After losing the use of the 200mm f/4 macro lens with the move to Z cameras the 70-180 may be an adequate replacement.

My trinity is the Z 14-30mm f/4 S, Z 24-120mm f/4 S, and the Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 S (and Z TC 2.0). I was thinking the 70-180 might replace the 24-120 as a street lens sometimes.

And you can with the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8.There's no attempt to redefine the trinity, in my opinion. The 70-180 f/4 is just a lighter, less expensive option that has an obvious place in the market. Just like the old f-mount Nikon 70-200mm f/4. Many will want the faster f/2.8, but there is a big part of the market that will appreciate this little 70-180, I suspect. It's a win for Tampon, they don't have to try to compete with th 70-200 f/2.8, but offer an alternative, instead. Just my 2 cents. :)
I think you misunderstand the new 70-180 to be an f4 lens. In fact it is an f2.8 lens.

I have a 70-180 but its a micro zoom F:4.5-5.6 . I've had it for years. Its great for macro and general uses.
I bought that lens when it came out in 1997. I was going to use it with my underwater gear. But it has a non removable foot plate so you have to saw through the attachment ring to remove it and fit it into an underwater port and housing.
So I just used it for land based work. A slow focusing lens that was not initially popular. But when I sold it 20 years later I got more than I paid for it. I used it a lot for macro work, especially slow moving subjects, like flowers :)

I
I bought that lens when it came out in 1997. I was going to use it with my underwater gear. But it has a non removable foot plate so you have to saw through the attachment ring to remove it and fit it into an underwater port and housing.
So I just used it for land based work. A slow focusing lens that was not initially popular. But when I sold it 20 years later I got more than I paid for it. I used it a lot for macro work, especially slow moving subjects, like flowers :)
I use mine for flowers and butterflys. Two years ago I used it drag racing photography. I didn't see any slow focus at all with macro or drag racing.

I have had the Z 70-200 f/2.8 VR S since March, 2021 and have used it extensively.
I received a Z 70-180 f/2.8 two weeks ago. The initial attraction was size and weight. But, that it could use the Z TC-1.4x and Z TC-2x was what sold me on giving it a try.
I did a simple tripod mounted Z8 comparison of the 70-200 and 70-180, with and without teleconverters. IMO the FX results were basically a push. But in DX mode with the teleconverters, I judged an edge favoring the 70-200. Note: I have a nice View Sonic graphics monitor, but it is NOT as crisp as the latest models I’ve looked at recently.

My sunrise walks in the local hills are now with the 70-180 + TC-1.4x on a Z8. The TC-2x is in a waist pack. Bird-in-flight subject tracking and AF-C is excellent and the lighter weight makes handheld pre-release capture a joy.
That the 70-180 has no built-in VR does not seem to matter from what I’ve seen so far. The Z8 alone, in VR sport-mode, appears more than capable.

You have an heirloom! Nikon will no longer service it. I wanted to have mine cleaned and inspected before selling it and they wouldn’t take it because they had no parts for it!

Does anybody have the Z 70-180 non-S lens? If so how does it perform?
For wildlife, landscape, and occasional indoor high school sports it does just fine. I replaced the 70-200 2.8 with the f4 version years ago after shooting both with no discernable difference in IQ other than bokeh. Now I'm replacing the 70-200 f4G with the Z 70-180 again with no discernable difference in IQ but gaining a stop and getting improved bokeh. So it's all good. The only thing I'm not crazy about is that it is not a fixed length zoom. There always seems to be some compromise....

Back