If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ssheipel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Was gonna ramble about just how long I've longed (pun intended) for a 600 f4 lens; bluntly a time frame that stretches to decades before I even knew what a 600 f4 lens was. But I'll spare you that, and just say I feel incredibly fortunate (and filled with gratitude) that I am in a place that I have the resources to have this lens (and cameras!) in my hand. (Note I did not say "afford" :) but retirement savings adequacy is over rated).

Had hoped to park somewhere with the lens on a tripod yesterday but neither birds nor terrain came together, so I wandered for 16 km hauling the lens and camera and tripod over my shoulder and then 'packed' the tripod and head and carried the camera (no strap; Cotton Carrier is on the way) and used it handheld. I couldn't not share some results from the outing and here's a Mallard and an American Black Duck.

What I really noticed was the lovely out of focus rendering (as promised by so many). Light was not great (even at Toronto's latitude this close to winter the sun does not get very high and the 'overcast' was pretty consistent and thick on the sun's plane -- used LR's denoize on these, tho noise wasn't 'that' awful at the ISOs I put up with to keep the shutter fast enough to compensate for these old biceps and triceps free arms :)

Other immediate impression, first right out of the box, and then holding it up to my eye, is the weight is so very manageable but more I think it's the balance of the lens; noticeable even when carrying the lens using the foot (I've got the Kirk foot attached) as handle. But still holding the 180-400 in one hand and the 600 in the other, the advantage of the 600 is very evident.

Cheers!
Mallard Duck with new lens sized.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
American Black Duck with new lens sized.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Was gonna ramble about just how long I've longed (pun intended) for a 600 f4 lens; bluntly a time frame that stretches to decades before I even knew what a 600 f4 lens was. But I'll spare you that, and just say I feel incredibly fortunate (and filled with gratitude) that I am in a place that I have the resources to have this lens (and cameras!) in my hand. (Note I did not say "afford" :) but retirement savings adequacy is over rated).

Had hoped to park somewhere with the lens on a tripod yesterday but neither birds nor terrain came together, so I wandered for 16 km hauling the lens and camera and tripod over my shoulder and then 'packed' the tripod and head and carried the camera (no strap; Cotton Carrier is on the way) and used it handheld. I couldn't not share some results from the outing and here's a Mallard and an American Black Duck.

What I really noticed was the lovely out of focus rendering (as promised by so many). Light was not great (even at Toronto's latitude this close to winter the sun does not get very high and the 'overcast' was pretty consistent and thick on the sun's plane -- used LR's denoize on these, tho noise wasn't 'that' awful at the ISOs I put up with to keep the shutter fast enough to compensate for these old biceps and triceps free arms :)

Other immediate impression, first right out of the box, and then holding it up to my eye, is the weight is so very manageable but more I think it's the balance of the lens; noticeable even when carrying the lens using the foot (I've got the Kirk foot attached) as handle. But still holding the 180-400 in one hand and the 600 in the other, the advantage of the 600 is very evident.

Cheers!
View attachment 76117View attachment 76118
Good test! Well done. Haven't seen the sun here for a few days so I'm holding off. (I'm 0.8 degrees south of Toronto. ) Will post soon after the current storm blows through.

Cheers!
View attachment 76117View attachment 76118
Enjoy Steven

Oh, and the Cotton Carrier arrives today says the courier :)
I can’t see a reason in this world that you wouldn’t love that. I carry two bodies on mine regularly and normally walk 2-5 miles depending on where I go. I noticed they’ve came out with a long foot that gives plenty of room on a tripod without removing the lug. I can leave mine in with my monopod but have to remove it on my tripod but I’m considering buying that new plate.