If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Steve

Admin
Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
This is one of my favorite photos of a granular dart frog. It was a partial focus stack to keep both the frog and the little bromeliad plant in focus. I shot a series all the way from the very front of the image to the edge of the log - I think it’s better to have more than you need than not enough - but in the end I liked just having the frog and plant in focus. Some extra fill light was courtesy of a little lumicube. Z9, 105 Z series macro.

dart-bcg.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

This is one of my favorite photos of a granular dart frog. It was a partial focus stack to keep both the frog and the little bromeliad plant in focus. I shot a series all the way from the very front of the image to the edge of the log - I think it’s better to have more than you need than not enough - but in the end I liked just having the frog and plant in focus. Some extra fill light was courtesy of a little lumicube. Z9, 105 Z series macro.

View attachment 58402
Beautiful Steve👍👍👍

beautiful photo Steve. I like everything about it.
I have been thinking on one of those lumecube things. The mini one seems best for just putting in the pocked and using for close up macros of wildflowers. Any thoughts pro/con on these little auxiliary light panels?
Jeff

beautiful photo Steve. I like everything about it.
I have been thinking on one of those lumecube things. The mini one seems best for just putting in the pocked and using for close up macros of wildflowers. Any thoughts pro/con on these little auxiliary light panels?
Jeff
Thanks!

That's what I'm using - just a pocket-sized lumi-cube. For small stuff, I think it's really all you need, although I don't do a lot of macro. I sometimes use just a reflector, but I like that I can have a more consistent light source with the cube.

Thanks!

That's what I'm using - just a pocket-sized lumi-cube. For small stuff, I think it's really all you need, although I don't do a lot of macro. I sometimes use just a reflector, but I like that I can have a more consistent light source with the cube.
Thanks Steve.
Jeff

I noticed you used an apeture of 7.1. When focus stacking is it still better to close the apeture some? I guess it would cut down on the number of images to complete the stack?

I noticed you used an apeture of 7.1. When focus stacking is it still better to close the apeture some? I guess it would cut down on the number of images to complete the stack?
Yes, exactly. The shallower the DoF, the longer it takes the get through the stack and the greater the risk of the animal moving. In fact, if I had more light I would have going to F/8 or F/9 - these guys are not patient and I was lucky he didn't hop.

This is truly a best of the best photograph. Superb, artistically and (of course!) technically. I hope National Geographic notices and appreciates that your composition has left all that lovely space upper left for cover text :)

This is truly a best of the best photograph. Superb, artistically and (of course!) technically. I hope National Geographic notices and appreciates that your composition has left all that lovely space upper left for cover text :)
LOL, that would be nice, but I'm just happy with posting it here :)